Executive Director, Advancement Marketing Research
Executive Director, Advancement Marketing Research & Strategy
Job No: 496766
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: University Advancement / Alumni Relations
University Advancement (UA) is here to advance the mission of Bucknell University by engaging the Bucknell community. It is only through the support of alumni, parents and friends - by opening doors to career opportunities, engaging others to join the conversation and community, and entrusting us with their philanthropic commitments -- that we can further elevate Bucknell as a leader in undergraduate education.
Our team is dedicated to this mission and unified by five values:
Lead with Integrity
Embrace a Collaborative and Inclusive Spirit
Be Open and Receptive
Nurture Creativity and Innovation
Foster a Culture of Empowerment and Knowledge
These values also illustrate how we bring, as a division, the University's strategic plan to life and exercise our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion on a daily basis.
The position will report directly to the Vice President of University Advancement and collaborate closely with the UA executive team, the Division of Communications, and other University departments to ensure UA marketing and outreach efforts are in alignment with the University brand, communications strategy and guidelines. The Executive Director also will participate in campaign planning and operations.
* Drives centralized, best practice marketing and outreach strategy across the division; leads and partners with department-level professionals on strategies to meet business objectives (including annual, ad-hoc, and long-term plans)
* Works closely with senior leaders to develop clear and compelling messages and marketing programs that advance giving and alumni/parent/family/student engagement and enhance the University's visibility and reputation
* Serves as UA's primary liaison with the Division of Communications to create compelling communication and marketing campaigns and programs across a variety of mediums (print, multimedia, web, social, etc.)
* Works closely with the Division of Communications to ensure standards for UA communications, including consistency with messaging, voice and design across various mediums
* Manages segmentation and personas, as well as communication preferences for the division
* Makes recommendations to the VP for UA regarding overall UA marketing and outreach goals
* Oversees multichannel, donor-centric fundraising solicitation strategy development to retain and acquire annual giving donors from University constituents including alumni, parents and friends
* Oversees stewardship strategy focused on the retention, acquisition and development of annual fund donors
*Oversees marketing and outreach efforts to inform and engage the University's constituencies, including alumni, parents and employers
* Sets vision and framework for incorporating current and emerging technology platforms to foster engaged and informed constituents
* Provides oversight of CRM and digital marketing systems to ensure the most effective use of the technologies for marketing and outreach purposes
* Evaluates the effectiveness of marketing and outreach efforts to achieve Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), at the program and division level, and makes recommendations for improvements to the VP for UA and other managers
* Establish, maintain, and evaluate strategic relationships with third-party vendors (in conjunction with Vice President, and as appropriate, other members of the Advancement Leadership Group).
* Recommends the annual operating budget for marketing and outreach efforts in support of defined strategies and goals; manages current fiscal year budget
* Manage production schedule(s) while adhering to defined budget
Effectively manages staff including hiring, retaining, developing and coaching while aligning efforts with Bucknell and University Advancement's OKRs, strategic initiatives, policies, and procedures.
Executive Leadership Expectations
Global view of Bucknell and UA and translates that knowledge into strategy
Charged with an advanced level of accountability for all areas of responsibility, decision making, and its impact on UA and Bucknell
Data informed innovator providing strategic solutions
Source for identifying challenges with correlating recommendations for solutions, and is accountable to UA Leadership at the VP level
Ability to act as informed UA representative at meetings, events, and other activities within the division, university, and externally
Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree
* Five years of professional marketing, communications, and/or higher education marketing or a similar non-profit fundraising environment
* Three years of experience with market research and analysis showing success in data-informed decision making
* Demonstrated ability to drive cross-functional groups toward a common goal
* Experience with project management; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience to implement integrated marketing programs across channels (digital and print) that are informed by data, analytics and best practices
* Demonstrated persuasive writing experience
This position requires occasional evening and weekend work to support UA's events including blocks of time for major events such as Family Weekend, Reunion, and Homecoming, and other event support as required. Staff should mark their calendars for major events and events in their department. Exceptions require supervisory approval. Also required is a commitment to attend, participate, facilitate or lead on-campus and off-campus events/activities outside of normal business hours as appropriate.
Employees are required to work as much time as is necessary to fulfill the requirements of the position without additional compensation, even if the work is performed beyond standard work hours.
* Advanced degree in marketing, communications, or a related field
* Fundraising or non-profit experience, particularly in higher education
* Experience with social (digital) media
* Experience working in a matrix environment
* Some staff/volunteer management experience
* Three or more years prior experience using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools, specifically for data analysis and reporting
* Mid-level or higher user skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496766/executive-director-advancement-marketing-research-strategy