Visiting Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Purdue University Northwest in Hammond, IN invites applications to fill one non-tenure-track teaching position at the rank of Visiting Assistant Professor of Computer Science in the Department of Computer Science, School of Engineering, College of Engineering & Sciences. Candidates must have a PhD degree in Computer Science or related area or an ABD in Computer Science or related area by the start of the appointment. The successful candidate is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned by the dept. chair on the Hammond and Westville campuses. Some courses may be taught in the evenings and there are opportunities to teach some of these courses in a distance learning format. Candidates with expertise in the field of software engineering, artificial intelligence, or data science are encouraged to apply. The initial contract term for this position is one academic year, to begin August 16, 2021. Contract renewal is subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding for the position.
Purdue University Northwest (PNW)
PNW is an academically comprehensive, student-centered university located in Northwest Indiana, just southeast of Chicago. As an independent university within the Purdue University system, PNW fosters a vibrant academic community for its approximately 7,000-student body through high-quality and engaging undergraduate and graduate education. Offering nearly 70 academic areas of study at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels, PNW’s colleges, schools, departments, and centers are distinguished through prestigious accreditations, national recognitions, and competitive rankings. The university is widely respected for its faculty’s dedication to student success through experiential learning and collaborative research across its two culturally diverse campuses located in Hammond and Westville, Indiana.College of Engineering and Science (CES), School of Engineering (SoE)
CES serves over 1,400 undergraduate students and 150
graduate students across a wide range of academic programs. The
college includes Departments of Biological Sciences,
Chemistry/Physics, Mathematics/Statistics, and the School of
PNW’s School of Engineering (SoE) within CES comprises three departments: Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical and Civil Engineering. Closely affiliated with the School are two distinguished and award-winning research centers, the Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation (CIVS) and the Purdue Water Institute (PWI).
The School is actively working to raise the profile of PNW’s engineering programs while continuing excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, increasing campus diversity, and building partnerships outside of the university that will benefit students, faculty, staff, and the region the University serves. In addition, the School is expanding facilities and undertaking major capital improvements across both campuses. A new Engineering Design Studio just opened in the fall of 2020.
Computer Science, as an independent department, is a new and growing unit in the College and the School serving about 165 undergraduate majors and 26 graduate students. CS offers a software engineering course and projects that are popular with both undergraduate and graduate students. The faculty of CS are working with statistics faculty to develop a minor in Data Science as well as co-taught graduate courses. A mutidisciplinary graduate course, Data Mining, Machine Learning & Statistical Analysis, attracts students from several departments.Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates must have a PhD degree in Computer Science or related area or an ABD in Computer Science or related area by the start of the appointment.
- Documented university teaching experience and a strong commitment to excellence in the classroom in a wide variety of courses.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication skills
- The successful candidate is expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned by the dept. chair on the Hammond and Westville campuses. Some courses may be taught in the evenings and there are opportunities to teach some of these courses in a distance learning format.
- Other duties will include (but not limited to) directing senior design projects, committee work, and other activities assigned by the department Chair.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications for the position immediately and will continue to accept nominations and applications until the position is filled. Applications must be submitted electronically. Purdue University Northwest is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in their cover letter, indicating their experiences, current interests, or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion. A complete application packet will include:
- Cover letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- statement of teaching,
- unofficial Transcript (official transcripts will be required upon employment)
- and contact information for 3 professional references.
All inquiries, nominations, and applications will remain confidential; references will not be contacted without notice. Position inquiries and nominations must be emailed to COES@pnw.edu.
Visit our web site www.pnw.edu for additional information about the University. For information regarding our excellent benefits package, visit https://www.purdue.edu/hr/Benefits/. Employment is contingent upon completion of successful background check. Purdue University is equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
FLSA Status: Exempt
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Hammond
- Education Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Hammond
- Teacher Education Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Hammond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Hammond
- Computer Sciences & Technology Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Hammond