Associate Dean for Human Resources
Associate Dean for Human Resources
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
The Associate Dean for Human Resources (ADHR) serves as a member of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences senior administrative leadership team and will set the overall strategic vision for Human Resources for the School. The ADHR is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall strategic direction of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, specifically in the areas of succession planning, recruitment, talent management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, and compensation (2671 staff, which includes roughly 1200 unionized employees and 800 managers); and serves as the coordinating partner to the University's Vice President for Human Resources as well as to peer HR leaders at each of Harvard's 11 other Schools.
The ADHR will build upon the strong HR foundation currently in place to establish a progressive, business-forward approach to recruiting and retaining a diverse population of talented individuals, providing development opportunities for all members of the FAS workforce, and will serve as a thought leader on how FAS can thrive in the workplace of the future.
The ADHR will help to refresh the FAS's approach to culture, incorporating the evolving diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) strategies into the strategic agenda of FASHR as a matter of institutional priority. Given the FAS's complex, decentralized structure, it is critical that this executive creates a highly adaptable strategy, considering the individual needs of various operating teams and a large exempt, non-exempt, and unionized employee base.
Reporting to the FAS Dean for Administration and Finance, the ADHR has six area direct reports leading the following functions: HR Consulting and Coordination; HR Programs and Operations; HR Athletics; Talent Acquisition and Development; Analytics and Compensation; Title IX and Professional Conduct; and has key relationships with senior leadership across FAS and Harvard.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- 10+ years of human resources experience as a well-rounded generalist
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The position of ADHR represents an exciting opportunity to advance the academic mission of Harvard University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences through human capital. The ideal candidate will:
- Have expertise as a progressive, strategic HR Business Partner; experience in a specialist role would be beneficial. Ideally, the individual will have previously served as a Head of HR.
- Be a highly experienced executive with a strong working knowledge of all core human resources principles and programs.
- Be an effective leader with solid interpersonal and communication skills; strong business acumen; and a highly collegial orientation.
- Possess excellent relationship building, communication, and influencing skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact comfortably and quickly gain credibility with a wide range of University stakeholders and constituents at all levels of seniority.
- Be both a collaborative team builder and an advocate of self, team, and others.
- Demonstrate a clear passion for working in a mission-driven institution and a desire to be part of a tight-knit community.
- Drive for results while ensuring success is not found at the expense of the engagement of others.
- The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is strongly committed to creating and supporting a diverse workforce. Respect and fairness, kindness and collegiality, and trust and transparency are among the values we espouse and promote in our workplace culture. We work hard to ensure a healthy, inclusive, and positive environment where everyone does their best work in support of Harvard's mission.
- During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with an eventual transition to onsite. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
All formal written offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Certificates and Licenses
Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) desirable.
Work is performed in an office setting.
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.