Tutor - Social Sciences - Part Time
TUTOR - SOCIAL SCIENCES - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in an academic or occupational area of study to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies, and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses. Tutors also work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; tutor students in math and writing labs; and provide online tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis on a wide range of subjects in an academic or occupational area.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of course materials and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build better study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at a college’s Tutoring/ Learning Resource/Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area, course or discipline.
- Assists the tutee in problem solving and applying critical thinking techniques in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and academic advisors regarding academic progress of individual students
- Maintains records on tutoring activities. Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Social Sciences or a related field of study, OR similar technical certifications and training
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the postsecondary instructional level is strongly preferred
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!