Software Developer/Software Engineer
The Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (ATOC) at the University of Colorado Boulder is encouraging applications for a Research Assistant with a comprehensive understanding of database management, web development, and programming for scientific applications. The Research Assistant will have an appointment in the ATOC department at CU-Boulder in Prof. Donata Giglio’s group and (also) join collaborative projects as they arise, e.g. current projects in collaboration with colleagues at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (ATOC) at the University of Colorado Boulder provides a world-class, interdisciplinary research and educational environment to examine the dynamical, physical, and chemical processes that occur in the atmosphere and ocean. A major theme is the establishment of a physical basis for observing, modeling, and understanding climate and global change.
The University of Colorado Boulder is located in a region having the greatest concentration of geophysical researchers in the nation and perhaps the world. The proximity of ATOC to this atmospheric and oceanic science excellence is the foundation of our unique philosophy and vision, which elevates our department to one of worldwide prominence. The guiding principle of ATOC is to be the focal point for atmospheric and oceanic science education and research training in this geographic region of world-renowned excellence. The University of Colorado, Boulder was ranked number one in atmospheric science in ShanghaiRanking's 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 Global Ranking of Academic Subjects.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Maintain the Argovis MongoDB and web application (at argovis.colorado.edu): enforce standards and controls and ensure performance.
- Work on extensions of the Argovis database and web application and document these extensions.
- Design and maintain unit testing for the Argovis database and web application.
- Upgrade relevant software as part of maintenance.
- Write scientific code for applications that maximize data collections in the Argovis database.
- Keep the Principal Investigator (PI) updated by preparing reports on system performance and problems.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Release data products or software relevant to other research groups.
- Describe products in peer-reviewed manuscripts and Jupyter notebooks.
What You Should Know
This position has an initial term of 1 year, with possible extension subject to performance and funding availability. Application from candidates interested in full-time or part-time will be considered with a preference for a full-time appointment.
What We Can Offer
Salary ranges between $55k-115k per year, based on prior experience of the candidate and expertise with relevant technologies and coding languages.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Dynamic. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- BS in computer science or a related field.
- Experience in web development.
What You Will Need
- Proven working experience in crafting well-designed, testable, efficient code by using the best software development practices.
- Ability to work with multiple observation sources and design and manage efficient MongoDBs.
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases (including data collections in the Argovis database) into the web app.
- Hands-on experience with network diagnostics, network analytics tools.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently as well as effectively in a team environment, and to communicate effectively (verbal and written).
- Build and maintain software documentation.
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills to prioritize multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines.
What We Would Like You To Have
- In-depth knowledge of Python, Numpy, Pandas, Cartopy, Scipy.
- Working knowledge of Angular, Express.js, Docker, shell scripting.
- A solid understanding of how web applications work, including security, session management, and best development practices.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A cover letter that describes previous and current research activities and qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for three references, and we will request letters of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Donata Giglio
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder