Veterans Services Coordinator (12177)
The Veterans Services Coordinator will ensure compliance with all Federal and university regulations and policies pertaining to military students and their dependents. This position is charged with preparing, reviewing, and submitting appropriate documentation necessary for certification of student’s veteran educational benefits. Responsible for the reconciliation of student’s accounts for students, the University and the Veterans Administration. Oversees various administrative tasks associated with internal and external reporting, tuition assistance and Veterans Readiness and Employment billing.
- Certify Enrollment for VA Education Benefits– Certifies enrollment of over 500 veterans, dependents, and active-duty service members. Processes veterans benefit forms accurately and in a timely manner. Monitors veteran progress each term. Reports final enrollment, tuition and fee information to Veterans Administration using online certification process. Creates and maintains a comprehensive spreadsheet of certified students each semester.
- Counsel Students – Counsels prospective and enrolled student veterans, service members, and their dependents to determine which VA Education Benefit and/or other military benefits they are eligible to receive. Answers questions via phone, email, or in-person to resolve problems and address concerns and issues. Provides referrals to other appropriate campus resources.
- Mandatory VA Reporting Reports registration changes utilizing Office of the Registrar provided audit reports, self-reporting from students, and a review of registration data. Reports end of semester/term updates to the VA for graduation, dismissals, non-punitive grades
- Other duties as assigned including but not limited to queries and data management of veterans databases; assists in preparation for compliance survey visits by the Department of Veterans Affairs; ongoing required annual VA trainings; Back-up VA Workstudy Work-site supervisor
- The Veterans Services Coordinator will report to the Associate Director, Veterans Services.
- The Veterans Services Coordinator may provide oversight at times for Veterans Work Study Students.
- The staff member in this position works collegially with campus colleagues.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Specialist A
- This is a union-eligible position. The union-eligibility of individual position incumbents will be determined based on the incumbent’s employer of record.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education, training or experience required.
- Two or more years of experience in a customer service related field with the ability to react to customers quickly, accurately and congenially.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Professional Experience in one of the following areas: working with student veterans, financial aid, registration, or student accounts.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Preferred qualifications include experience working with student veterans, financial aid, registration and student accounts experience.
- Experience working with Veteran Affairs.
- Knowledge of and experience with American University including institutional and unit policies, procedures and processes.
- Hiring offers for the position are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.