Admissions Counselor, Latinx Community
University Code 10121 University Title Student Recruiter 1-3 University Job Family Academic & Faculty Affairs ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Admissions Counselor, Latinx Community Position Number 593210 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Non-Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Office of Admissions Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
In the Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success, the Admissions Counselor, Latinx Community position is part of a team that will build and enhance the recruitment of new undergraduate students to Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) in Latinx communities to meet the strategic enrollment goals of the University. The ideal candidate has strong relationships and experiences and a proven commitment to the Latinx community a passion for VCU and encouraging students to pursue higher education, is willing to travel extensively, and is excited to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
• Represent VCU at various student recruitment events and activities for the assigned area or student base including attending college fairs, career fairs, visits to high schools and community colleges.
• Serve as a University liaison and provide exemplary customer service and information about the University to prospective undergraduate students, their parents, guidance counselors, and other constituencies.
• Plan, organize, and conduct information sessions, interviews, and counseling sessions with prospective undergraduate students and their parents to provide information about the University, admissions processes, and university policies and procedures in both English and Spanish.
• Evaluate data and applicant credentials for admission and counsel prospective students on their admissibility and ability to be successful once at VCU .
• Coordinate and implement recruitment strategies with a focus on the Latinx market to attract new freshmen and transfer students from assigned area or student base and work closely with other University offices.
• Respond to email, participate in virtual information sessions, and make phone calls to perspective students to encourage campus visits and applications for admission.
• Maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students and their families regarding the status of their applications for admission and financial aid.
• Participate in other Admissions recruitment activities including with campus partners and out-of-state.
• Maintain relationships with secondary school counselors, community college counselors, and community-based organization leaders.
• Coordinates and participates in outreach activities to attract new students from the Latinx community by establishing strong working relationships with community organizations, family-oriented groups, and other applicable sources.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Full-time, year-round position with high and low periods of activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement plans.
• Extensive travel is required – Trips with total mileage beyond 25 miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses will also be provided.
• Weekends and evening work is common and expected including working hours over winter break.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent applicable experience and education.
• Fluent in spoken Spanish with the ability to provide public presentations and written Spanish with the ability to correspond for basic, typical business purposes.
• Has strong relationships and experiences and a proven commitment to the Latinx community. Excellent oral and written presentation skills in both English and Spanish.
• Ability to use Office products including PowerPoint.
• Ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient priorities.
• Enthusiasm to travel for extended periods.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• A current driver’s license and current car insurance.
• Ability to work some hours over the University’s winter break.
• Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Experience in higher education, admissions, or recruitment experience.
• Knowledge of VCU programs or prior VCU student.
• Previous customer service and public speaking experience.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range up to $40,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm Job Open Date 07/08/2021 Posting will close on or before 08/01/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107678 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you bilingual (Spanish-English), fluent in written and
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
- * Do you have current car insurance?
- * Are you comfortable traveling for extended periods of time?
- * Are you able to handle working on multiple tasks at one time?
Do you have any college admissions recruitment
- * Do you have experience working with student populations,
particularly high school students?
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * This position will require that you work during some of VCU's
Winter Break. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond