Classroom Video Services & Field Operations Technician (Foundation Level)
Field Operations & Classroom Video Services Technician (Temporary)
(Equipment Systems Specialist - Foundation Skill Level)
Compensation and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $20.19 to 23.07 an hour
- This full-time (equivalent to 40 hours per week) temporary position is expected to last up to one year from the date of appointment. Extension of this assignment is contingent upon sufficient additional funding and satisfactory performance. Multiple positions may be filled from this recruitment.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here .
Under the general direction of the Director of Classroom Technologies, Telecom, Operations & Networks or the leadership of a senior level Information Technology (IT) Professional (Expert level), the Equipment/Systems Specialist provides support for the Classroom and Video Services (CVS) and Field Operations groups.
Responsibilities include the installation, maintenance, modification, and repair of campus structured cabling, telephony systems, installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of classroom video equipment. Installation and minor maintenance of wired and wireless networking components and uninterruptible power supplies are also considered a primary area of responsibility.
The technician serving in this capacity acts as one of the primary infrastructure field support resources for the campus community as well as outside vendors. Additionally, the technician is expected to work relatively independently and possess the experience and aptitude to perform most or all of the work assignments defined for their position.
Major duties of the job include:
● Respond to and complete service requests generated by the campus community maintaining appropriate service levels in accordance with departmental practices.
● Ensure that all completed work is documented accurately and in the proper manner.
● Effectively manage personal work queues to maintain acceptable levels of productivity as outlined by the department manager or Team Lead.
● Install, relocate, and/or remove structured, low-voltage cabling for on-campus and off-campus locations as needed.
● Work with Network Engineers to provide network connectivity in accordance with the campus Network Connection Policy to include activating or deactivating a data port or facilitating VLAN changes.
● Perform routine installation, relocation, or removal of data networking components, including Wi-Fi equipment, as part of projects, service requests, or incidents.
● Work with outside vendors or contractors providing infrastructure support and guidance for various campus-related projects.
● Monitor, support and maintain records used for the campus A/V monitoring software tools.
● Coordinating the day-to-day operation of the distance learning and video conference rooms.
Secondary duties of the job include:
● Document completed work for purposes of billing or recordkeeping
● Update and maintain cable infrastructure records, inventory tracking, and control as well as all related data
● Provide backup technical support for other TS employees
● Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Knowledge of and/or skill with:
o ANSI/TIA/EIA cabling standards
o Infrastructure testing equipment such as network multi-meters and OTDR
o Cable and wiring standards as defined by the institution and industry
o Materials, methods, and techniques used in the completion of equipment service assignments. Adept at using required tools, including computer systems, to accomplish tasks
o Applicable industry and safety codes and/or standards that apply to work environment and equipment
● Skill/Ability to:
o Assemble components and parts, and/or cabling or wiring, by reading and interpreting reference manuals and schematics
o Differentiate between hardware and software problems
o Use a variety of test equipment and diagnostic software to ensure system operation
o Read and understand technical manuals and related documentation for equipment/systems that interconnect with or interface to installed equipment base
o Physically install and configure equipment, connections, wiring, and cable as required working from layout, blueprints, or plans
o Use common package application programs
o Work effectively with all levels of the University and the general public from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
o Appropriately maintain the confidentiality of data files, data elements, and personal information.
o Must be able to provide technical support on various special projects, which may require some weekend or evening work.
o Utilize specialized software utilities and features in assigned equipment, and install and configure standard software
o Effectively organize and manage multiple tasks in a fast paced team-oriented environment
To view the full list of qualifications and job responsibilities, please click the Position Description button above.
Education and Experience
● An associate of arts degree in electronics, telecommunications, or industrial technology or equivalent education, training, and/or directly related experience
● At least one year of directly related experience demonstrating the requisite skill-set and competence in low-voltage/structured cabling.
● Equivalent to one year of journey-level or skilled experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of structured low-voltage cabling.
● Ability to perform with regard to project deadline objectives
● Experience with network and Avaya telephony equipment and maintenance
Technology Services is dedicated to providing a broad range of technology-based planning, resources and services to the students, faculty and staff of California State University, Fresno. Technology Services provides administrative information services, core services, and desktop support to the Fresno State community.
Our department consists of a well trained team of individuals dedicated to providing effective technology and quality services and support that are integrated into the daily activities of the entire campus.
Deadline & Application Instructions
Recruitment is open until filled. Applications received by July 25, 2021, will be given full consideration by the search committee.
- Applications received after that date will be forwarded at the request of the Hiring Manager and/or search committee.
Please click “Apply Now” to complete the employment application for California State University, Fresno. Interested applicants must complete the application and attach the following: 1) their most recent resumé/vitae, 2) a cover letter that addresses their specific qualifications and interest, and 3) contact information for three professional references.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to boldly educate and empower students for success through our values of Discovery, Diversity and Distinction. The current student population is more than 25,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and across the globe.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 527,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley. The campus is within driving distance of Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.
Equal Employment Opportunity Information
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Orders 1096 and 1097 prohibit discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Fresno State's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring, and retention. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with California State University, Fresno. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Fresno State has identified as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" under the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This will require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within six (6) months of assuming office and every two (2) years thereafter.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Advertised: 08 Jul 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fresno
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fresno
- Instructional Technology & Design (Campus) Not specified Full Time jobs in Fresno
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fresno
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fresno