Financial Aid Specialist
Financial Aid Specialist
Posting Number: 0000815
Reports to: Director, Financial Aid
Department: Financial Aid
Full or Part-time: Full Time
This is a full time 40 hour per week salaried position. This position manages key Financial Aid processes and possess a full knowledge of all the regulations
and guidelines concerning financial aid, the ability to perform verification, and the ability to exercise
professional judgment in accordance with the Department of Education's rules and guidelines.
Incumbents in this position support student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness by ensuring state and federal compliance are met and encouraging student success through the Financial Aid process.
Assists students and prospective students with their applications for financial aid;
2. Performs any and all clerical work related to financial aid administration;
3. Performs eligibility determinations and verification for any federal, state, or local aid program;
4. Uses professional judgment (as defined by the Department of Education) when directed;
5. Serve as a reviewer for scholarship applications and appeals;
6. Plans and monitors specific projects, ensuring they are carried out on time and in compliance;
7. Identifies and researches potential problems and make recommendations for action to director;
8. Works with Director, Information Technology staff, and any other relevant parties as necessary to
update the student information system to make necessary changes to financial aid processing as
a result of new regulations, policies, procedures, and/or aid years;
9. Participates in the annual program planning process, including staff meetings and retreats;
10. Maintains current knowledge of all laws, codes, regulations, policies, and procedures related to
financial aid programs and analyze policies and procedures to ensure compliance;
11. Corresponds with Lake Michigan College personnel, students, parents, and various outside
agencies to resolve conflicts of information and any other concerns related to financial aid;
12. Serves as primary administrator and point-of-contact for specific financial aid programs or
activities (e.g. loan processing, work-study, outside scholarships, state grant programs, etc.)
13. Assists Director with the preparation of various financial aid reports;
14. Conducts outreach activities at local high schools, community functions, and on-campus events;
15. Performs a variety of technical duties in the review, evaluation, maintenance, reconciliation and
adjustment of financial aid accounts;
16. Ensures accuracy of student and financial data in all transactions involving the student
information system or any other software used by the department;
17. Creates queries and extract data to prepare and maintain a variety of statistical records and
reports related to financial aid and its administration;
18. Serves as a financial aid representative on committees or workgroups as necessary; and
Performs other related duties as required.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Financial Aid, is responsible for the timely and accurate implementation of financial aid programs and the dissemination of related information to the Lake Michigan community, including students, parents, faculty, and the community-at-large.
Bachelor’s degree required and minimum 1-year relevant work experience, or Associate’s Degree with plan to complete Bachelor’s degree in business or finance preferred. Minimum 2 years’ experience in financial aid or other heavily regulated industry experience required. Banner experience preferred. Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and high level of confidence required. Demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of staff and students and of staff and students with physical and learning disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Summer hours- May thru August
College fully funds health insurance deductible.
Benefits immediately start first day of employment.
Official College transcripts required upon hire.
Open Date: 07/07/2021
To apply, visit https://lmc.simplehire.com/postings/3698
About Lake Michigan College
Lake Michigan College is a community college in southwest Michigan. We have three campuses --two of which are located ten minutes from our namesake’s breathtaking shoreline.
Like other community colleges, we offer associate degrees, certificates, and even a baccalaureate degree. But what sets us apart from our peers is our seemingly limitless potential and our people - people who care deeply about our region’s future and who are committed to student success and exemplary educational programs, strong alignments with both established and emerging industries, and productive partnerships with the communities we serve.
Faculty and staff at LMC enjoy excellent benefits and a supportive and friendly work environment. LMC recently received a Capital Outlay grant from the State of Michigan and a new millage from the southwest Michigan community, so the college’s facilities will be getting innovative, sustainable upgrades in the next few years that will contribute to the comfort, productivity and collaborative environment for all employees.
Living in Southwest Michigan
Southwest Michigan attracts millions of tourists who come for our beaches, wineries, and nationally acclaimed golf courses. But many who visit, choose to stay for our great schools, low cost of living, and high quality of life.
LMC’s main campus is nestled in a watery and wooded wildlife sanctuary, yet it’s less than a half-day’s drive from major metro areas including Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indianapolis.