Residence Campus - Boston, MA
The Office of Residence Life at Simmons University seeks passionate, student-centered applicants to serve as an Area Coordinator. The Area Coordinator provides leadership and management of a residential area of several residence halls, and supervises 1-2 Graduate Resident Directors (GRDs) and up to 10 Resident Advisors (RAs). The Area Coordinator contributes to the development of the Simmons University student population through a variety of experiences including developing social, educational, and leadership initiatives. The position provides high-touch student support, serves as a conduct officer, and participates in the on-call rotation (including during the summer months).
- Provide leadership for residential area, including supervising
1-2 Graduate Resident Directors (GRDs) and Resident Advisor (RA)
- Provide direct support and guidance to residents through
programming, counseling, and referral designed to encourage the
academic, emotional and social development of each
- Host office hours in buildings, attend meals in the dining hall
and host programs to be a visible and available member of the
- Coordinate the development of programs in the residential area
by working with GRDs and RAs to create high-quality, educational
and impactful programs; oversee programming budget and track
programmatic efforts for area;
- Conduct on-going weekly supervisory meetings and staff
- Attend weekly supervisory and Prostaff meetings;
- Participate in the after-hours on-call duty rotation and serve
as the primary point of contact in crisis situations; Must be
available to respond to situations that arise during holidays,
weekends, evenings and during the summer;
- Monitor and support the implementation of the student conduct
process by hearing cases and making appropriate
- Coordinate the opening and closing of the residence hall in
conjunction with the opening and closing of the academic year and
various vacation periods;
- Perform inspections of student rooms and buildings to maintain
appropriate standards of health, safety, and
- Responsible for assisting in the planning, development and
evaluation of RA Spring and Summer Training and on-going RA
training series held throughout the academic year;
- Assist central office staff with office operations when needed,
i.e., Housing Selection;
- Oversee Office of Residence Life Staff Appreciation
- Plan, coordinate and execute sessions during Summer and Fall
Orientation to highlight the Office of Residence Life
responsibilities and services;
- Establish effective and positive working relationships with
other campus offices and departments;
- Represent the University and department on various committees
and events including Admission Open Houses, Accepted Students Day,
- Submit end-of-year report reviewing all events and
accomplishment throughout the year;
- Participate in projects related to the departmental
- Attend division-wide meetings as needed;
- Be available during nights and weekends for office hours,
programming, campus-wide events, etc.
- Bachelors degree required. Masters degree in College Student
Personnel, Counseling, Higher Education, or related field or a
combination of education and experience are preferred;
- Two or more years of professional residence life/housing
- Ability to interact effectively with students, staff, and
campus partners from diverse backgrounds;
- Commitment to community development and programming;
- Understanding of and commitment to principles of social justice
- A genuine interest in team membership;
- A sense of humor and positive attitude a must.
This is a 12 month, live-in position requiring frequent night and weekend work. A partially furnished apartment is provided as well as a meal plan during the academic year.
Salary commensurate with experience
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Applicants are encouraged to apply before July 23
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the Application Materials box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Residence-Campus---Boston-MA/Area-Coordinator_R07647
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.