Head of Library Systems
The Head of Library Systems is responsible for library technical infrastructure strategy, design, implementation, and management. The position supervises a team of three systems engineers based in the Digital Libraries unit and works in close collaboration with stakeholders within the University Libraries and across campus. The Head of Library Systems, reporting to the Associate Director for Digital Libraries, will be a full-time, 12-month faculty-level position. They will perform the majority of their duties at Virginia Tech's main campus in Blacksburg, but this position serves the entire University Libraries system, including libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke.
The Head of Library Systems will manage, supervise, and mentor a team of experienced, knowledgeable, friendly systems engineers, develop plans for systems and network design and support, carry out strategic priorities, and ensure they have the resources, skills, and training to support the Libraries’ strategic objectives. In collaboration with their colleagues, the Associate Director for Digital Libraries, and stakeholders within the library and across campus, the Head will shape the digital future of the University Libraries' server-side IT infrastructure: the physical environment including server room and servers, digital storage, virtualization environments, and server operating systems. Services supported by the department include virtual computing, web hosting, change management, security, process management and documentation, web application management, automation, CI/CD pipeline development and management, and other related areas.
Virginia Tech University Libraries serves a vibrant, diverse community. We passionately strive to embody the Virginia Tech Principles of Community and to live the Virginia Tech motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). We are deeply committed to mentoring, serving our community, and establishing safe spaces where our staff from current and historically underrepresented groups can thrive.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Library and Information Science, Business Information Technology, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing diverse groups of IT professionals to accomplish both short and long-range IT projects on time and on budget
- Effective communication
- Demonstrated experience promoting diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated experience with supervision or participation in collaborative project management
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science, Computer Science, or a closely related field
- Amazon Web Services certifications such as Solutions Architect, DevOps Architect, or similar
- Experience with systems and network monitoring, alerting, integration, and documentation
A/P faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
$78,000 dependent on education and qualifications
August 9, 2021
- The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
- Requires valid driver’s license in good standing
- Must be willing to travel as needed to the University Libraries branches for support, these include branch libraries in Blacksburg, the National Capital Region, and the Health Science and Technology Innovation District in Roanoke. Travel to these areas will be on a limited basis.
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community , the University Libraries commits to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 7, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Library & Information Sciences Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Computer Sciences & Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg