Assistant Director of Clinical Education, Physical Therapy, Non-Tenure Track, January 1, 2022
Chapman University’s Department of Physical Therapy seeks
applications for the position of Assistant Director of Clinical
Education (ADCE), a non-tenure track Clinical Assistant or
Associate Professor in Crean College of Health and Behavioral
Sciences. The successful candidate will begin January 1,
Chapman University is a nationally ranked institution offering traditional undergraduate and graduate programs in the heart of Orange County, one of Southern California’s most diverse and vibrant regions. The university achieved R2 status in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, a distinction held by just 10 percent of all U.S. universities. Our faculty include academic leaders who excel in research, publishing and world-class teaching in our 11 schools and colleges, including Crean College of Health and Behavioral Sciences. Dedicated to forward-looking, personalized education, we create an environment for unlimited achievement by both our students and faculty. More information about the university and Crean College of Health and Behavioral Sciences is available at https://www.chapman.edu/crean
Continually accredited since 1928, the Department of Physical Therapy has a rich tradition as the oldest, longest continually accredited physical therapy programs in the United States. The program is located at the Rinker Health Science campus in Irvine, CA, which is home to several other accredited, graduate health science professional programs, including Pharmacy, Communication Sciences and Disorders, and Physician Assistant. The DPT programs is distinguished by innovative teaching and research laboratories and classrooms with an emphasis on inter-professional education, evidence-based practice, and health promotion and injury/disease prevention. The Rinker campus is strategically located near numerous health service, medical device, and biopharmaceutical companies. Chapman University offers traditional undergraduate programs in the arts and sciences and select pre-professional and graduate programs. The following web link will provide additional information the Department of Physical Therapy: http://www.chapman.edu/PT
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity
The successful candidate will hold a clinical doctorate or
earned terminal academic doctorate (PT/D.P.T., PT/PhD, PT/EdD,
etc.), with demonstrated excellence in clinical education and
curricular development, as well as the following
• Graduate of an accredited physical therapist professional program.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a licensed physical therapist.
• Minimum of 1 year of clinical teaching and/or clinical coordination experience.
• Strong communication, organization, interpersonal, problem-solving, and clinical mentoring skills.
• Able to initiate, administer, and assess clinical education programs.
• Able to work independently and coordinate work with colleagues and peers, especially with colleagues involved with clinical education.
• Licensed or eligible for licensure in the state of California.
• Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, legal, and practice issues affecting clinical education, students, and the profession of physical therapy.
• Able to meet faculty requirements as stated in the Evaluative Criteria for Physical Therapist Education Programs.
• Participate in independent and/or collaborative research in clinical education or related areas.
• Current knowledge and skill in the use of information and computer technology (e.g., word processing, e-mail, database) or proven ability to learn these skills.
• Able to work with students with special needs based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
• Member of the American Physical Therapy Association.
• Able to travel within and outside of the state of California, as needed.
Possess all minimum requirements, and:
• Prior experience as an Assistant Director of Clinical Education
• Prior experience as a Site Clinical Coordinator of Clinical Education
• APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor
• Prior teaching experiences in a physical therapist academic program and/or administrative experience in clinical practice.
• Knowledge of educational, management, and adult learning theory and principles.
• Active in clinical practice, especially as applicable to clinical education.
• Active in professional activities at local, state, and/or national levels.
Reporting to the Department Chair, the ADCE works
collaboratively with the Director of Clinical Education (DCE), and
other members of the Clinical education team, holds a faculty
(clinical, non-tenure track) appointment and has administrative,
academic, service, and scholarship responsibilities consistent with
accreditation standards and the mission and philosophy of the
Department of Physical Therapy, Chapman University.
As a member of the Clinical Education team, the ADCE will work collaboratively with the DCE to shape and modify the existing Clinical Education program with an eye toward meeting future needs and responding to evolving trends in physical therapist education and practice.
Under the leadership of the DCE, the ADCE will also work collaboratively with faculty and other Clinical Education team (e.g., other ADCEs and Administrative Support Staff) to ensure the successful operation of the clinical education program for our two-cohort curricular model. The successful candidate will have joint and specific responsibilities for aspects of the clinical education experiences of students enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program, including the organization, administration, continuous review and revision of clinical education experiences, and development of new affiliate relationships.
Working collaboratively with the DCE, the ADCE and other members of the Clinical education team will also assist the Program Director in strategic planning; implementing changes based on evolving practice standards; assessment of student learning outcomes and overall programmatic success; and maintenance of programmatic and institutional accreditation, specific to clinical education.
As a faculty member, the ADCE may also have responsibilities in the area of Clinical Practicum and Clinical Experiences and service to the Department, the Crean College, the University, the Community and the profession. The ADCE may have opportunities for teaching in their area of expertise, mentoring physical therapist students, and participating in inter-professional educational experiences and professional/academic service, including maintaining clinical competency, if applicable.
Qualified candidates should electronically submit copies of a
faculty application, letter of application, curriculum vitae,
reprints of publications or other examples of scholarly work at
Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18839
Further inquiries can be directed to:
Faculty Search Coordinator, Ms. Christine Dumaual at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Search Committee Chair/Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, Dr. Emmanuel John, at email@example.com.
Application reviews will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The position start date is January 1, 2022, but negotiable. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. This position is contingent on final budget approval. Successful completion of a criminal background check is required for the final candidate.
Download a copy of the Chapman Faculty Application for Employment here.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Chapman University, One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866 Human Resources Department