Groundskeeper I (1540)
The Groundskeeper performs grounds maintenance, including planting, mulching, weeding, and removal of litter. They also engage in snow and ice removal, campus clean up, hardscape maintenance, and operates small grounds equipment. The Groundskeeper typically works within assigned zone. However, the incumbent may be assigned to assist with work within and outside unit. Incumbent may be requested to serve on various department and/or university committees.
- Must be available for weekend and overtime work as scheduled or needed for snow removal and other assigned work
- Serves as an essential employee on the winter weather emergency team
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Associate B
Required Education and Experience
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- 2 years’ landscape maintenance experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent or completion of an approved vocational program
- Some post-secondary horticultural courses
- Ability to obtain pesticide certification
- Knowledge of proper planting and pruning techniques for trees, shrubs, and flowers
- Knowledge of most common plant names and where to find information about those of which they are not familiar
- Knowledge of horticulture maintenance practices, measuring, and calculations as related to grounds care
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Knowledge of work methods, equipment, and procedures to assure health and safety standards and precautions are applied to work performed
- Valid driver’s license
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC