Director, Human Resources
Requested Start Date:
September 1, 2021
Normal Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Some evenings and weekends required
The Director of Human Resources serves as an advocate regarding benefits, policies, and practices that would have a positive impact on employees and as an advisor and strategic partner to University administration. The Director of Human Resources provides leadership through the management of a comprehensive human resources department, including recruitment, retention, and employment services, benefits administration, classification, compensation, and salary administration, training and development, regulatory compliance, employee relations, and human resource information systems and records management.
· Provides leadership and guidance for the University and its employees regarding human resource matters by managing a comprehensive human resource department including recruitment, employment, and retention services, benefits administration, classification and compensation, performance evaluation, training and development, employee relations, and human resource information systems and records management.
· Serves as an advocate for employees by listening and becoming aware of employee needs and concerns, sharing this information with University leadership, researching best practices, and offering options for leaders to consider in addressing employee needs and concerns.
· Ensures that applicants, employees, vendors, and University administrators receive excellent customer service in all interactions with the Department of Human Resources.
· Ensures consistent and equitable application of human resource policies and government regulations throughout the University by advising senior administrators about the applicable policies and regulations, providing training for supervisors, and enforcing the personnel policies of the University.
· Advises employees and supervisors regarding performance and disciplinary issues, administers progressive discipline and grievance procedures consistently, listens to employee and supervisor concerns, conducts investigations as needed, and recommends a plan of action.
· Develops personnel policies, practices, and procedures for approval by the University administration by listening to employee concerns, reviewing best practices, and identifying opportunities to improve employee satisfaction.
· Contributes to employee engagement by advising and supervising the administration of employee benefits programs, providing excellent customer service, automating processing systems, communicating information about programs and services to employees and to all levels of management throughout the University, working with benefit plan consultants and vendors, and interpreting policies and state and federal laws in a consistent manner.
· Improves organizational effectiveness and productivity by overseeing the planning, development, and delivery of professional development and job-related skill training opportunities.
· Ensures the accuracy of personnel information for all University employees by supervising the maintenance of personnel records and reviewing personnel actions for application to the employee database.
· Promotes a positive image of the University by participating in community organizations, as well as national, state and local professional associations.
· Develops a competent, productive and effective personnel staff by supervising, directly and through delegation, professional and administrative support employees.
· Represents the department and serves as a resource by participating on various University committees.
· Manages funds by planning, developing and controlling the departmental budget.
· Collaborates with the Controller in the management of the position budget.
· Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
· Remains competent and current on best Human Resources practices through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration.
· Coordinates all legal matters with the University’s General Council and ensures effective documentation and recommends appropriate corrective actions.
· Administers assigned employee relations programs including Employee Rewards and Recognition Programs.
· Fosters a healthy work environment including work-life balance and wellness programs.
· Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Oversees employee diversity and inclusion initiatives, including assisting with associated committees work as needed.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
· Master's degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration or a closely related field, from an accredited university
· Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or related field with HR certification (PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP)
· at least eight years of experience with progressive responsibility in functional areas that include employment, compensation, benefits, development and training, and employee relations.
· at least four years of supervisory experience
· Human Resources experience in public higher education
1. Cover Letter
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Human Resources Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Jacksonville