Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse & Physical Education Instructor
Coach (Job Family Group)
Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse & Physical Education Instructor position. The Head Coach of Men's Lacrosse & Physical Education Instructor position is a full-time, year-round position. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The head coach is responsible for the management and administration of all aspects of a successful NCAA Division III men's lacrosse program. The head coach will manage the men's lacrosse program to ensure the competitive performance of the team and satisfactory growth and development of a diverse set of student-athletes. The head coach is also responsible for other related duties assigned by the Director of Athletics. The position requires an understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics in a highly competitive academic environment. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching, analyzing performance, and coaching game techniques and strategies of lacrosse in preparation for and during athletic competitions.
- Establish strong relationships with a diverse set of student-athletes and maintain effective lines of communication.
- Monitor academic progress of lacrosse student-athletes. Understand academic needs, communicate with faculty liaisons, identify any issues that may occur, and provide direction and guidance when necessary.
- Develop student-athletes of character who are committed to fostering a campus environment of respect and inclusion.
- Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions daily or several times weekly during the season. Maintains detailed statistics and records, evaluation reports, etc. for each student-athlete. Determines and implements strategy to obtain maximum team level and individual performance.
- Determines competitive event schedule, coordinating with teams both inside and out of the Conference.
- Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable NESCAC, NCAA, and college rules and regulations, and complies with same.
- Creates a dynamic and inclusive recruiting plan for the lacrosse program.
- Lead the effort to scout and recruit high-achieving prospective student-athletes from geographically and demographically diverse populations. Coordinates all phases of recruiting activities. Coordinates and organizes potential student-athlete on-campus visits
- Attend meetings within the department and conference
- Maintains positive relations with alumni and friends groups
- In conjunction with the Office of Advancement, coordinate the program's fundraising activities and the outreach of a diverse set of alumni.
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate assistant coaches
- Manage program budget, travel, and logistics with Department administration
- Performs other duties/functions as requested
- Bachelor's Degree
- A valid US driver's license and successful credentialing are required in order to operate College vehicles.
- Experience playing or coaching lacrosse at the college level
- Strong recruiting skills.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing, interpersonal, and analytical skills and the capacity to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance strategic planning.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the development of a diverse set of student-athletes from varied backgrounds
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and other non-traditional schedules
- Ability to travel (by car, air, train, bus) domestically and internationally as needed for competition, recruiting, fundraising, or professional development
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.