Coordinator of Veteran and Military Services - Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Support
The Department of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Support Programs at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater seeks a Coordinator of Veterans & Military Services (ASSOC STU SERV COORD).
This will be a fixed term appointment and reappointment for subsequent terms is dependent upon needs of the position, university funding and external forces.
The Coordinator for Student Veterans and Military Services oversees and manages a comprehensive array of services and programs designed to support student veterans and student military service members. As a primary responsibility, the Coordinator supports all aspects of campus efforts directed at recruiting, orienting, educating, serving, retaining, and graduating student veterans and student military personnel. The Coordinator also provides academic advising for student veterans and student military personnel, as well as promoting awareness and advocating for student veteran and student military service issues across campus. The Coordinator plays an essential role in connecting student veterans and student military service members with other veterans and military personnel on campus, and supporting student veterans and student military service members in their interactions with state and federal veterans agencies.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 years experience with veterans and/or military servicemembers
- Working knowledge of relevant governmental organizational structures such as the Department of Veterans Affairs for the purpose of advocating and assisting student veterans and student military servicemembers and their families
- Master's Degree
- Successful grant writing ability
- Preference given to individuals with previous military service or experience
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of services and programs for veterans and military servicemembers
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated knowledge of GI Bills, federal and state laws and guidelines related to veterans services and programs
- Demonstrated knowledge of the needs and experiences of veterans, military members and their families
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse student body and foster sensitivity to diverse issues in a university
- Proven record of establishing and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with individuals in the areas of mentoring, academic
- advising, and adjustment to university life
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Provide visionary leadership in the administration, management and strategic planning efforts for student veterans and student military service members.
- Provide advocacy to support needs of student veterans, student military service members and their families.
- Provide fiscal management to the department.
- Provide leadership in the hiring, training, and supervision of staff, including student employees, student interns, and graduate assistants.
- Develop and implement programs for student veterans and student military service members.
- Partner with First Year Experience on orientation programs for new students as well as returning students, family activities and events.
- Partner with the Academic Advising and Exploration Center and college advising coordinators to advise student veterans and student military service members.
- Establish and maintain a partnership with the Veterans Services Certifying Official to advise decision makers regarding institutional policies and procedures that address veterans issues.
- Work with Veterans Certifying Official to maintain an on-line (web) presence for current and prospective students.
- Coordinate with multiple offices across campus including: undergraduate and graduate admissions offices regarding recruitment efforts, ROTC, the Division of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Support Programs, and University Health and Counseling Services regarding available services.
- Advise the veteran student organization.
- Chair the Veterans and Military Service members Committee.
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation, and assessment of outreach and educational programs, including development of training materials related to awareness and understanding of veterans issues and needs to the campus and community.
- Participate in professional development activities, conferences, workshops, and training events. Keep up to date with student development theory; the higher education literature; federal and state mandates, laws and initiatives; the federal and state Department of Veterans Affairs; veteran strategic activities; and current and future trends that better serve students, including technological resources.
- Serve on various University, community and state wide organizations, task forces, and committees. Provide outreach to the Southeast Wisconsin Veterans community. Assist in special projects or tasks to accomplish goals and mission of the University of any special assignments as assigned by the Associate Vice Chancellor of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Support Programs.
Founded in 1868, UW–Whitewater is one of eleven comprehensive universities in a public higher education system that also includes two doctoral institutions and a statewide Extension. In the fall of 2018, as a result of the University of Wisconsin System’s restructuring of the state’s 13 two-year campuses formerly known as UW Colleges, UW–Rock County began operating as a branch campus of UW–Whitewater under the new name of University of Wisconsin–Whitewater at Rock County. Together, these campuses form a preeminent academic institution driven by the pursuit of knowledge, powered by a spirit of innovation, and focused on transforming lives. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Main Campus and Rock County Campus are located conveniently near Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, and thus offers the advantage of beautiful small-town environments with easy access to the cultural and commercial opportunities of major metropolitan areas.
The Warhawk family — led by caring faculty and staff — is devoted to student success within a broad range of academic programs. UW-Whitewater has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. The campuses have more than 200 student organizations and UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university. UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 13-campus University of Wisconsin System ( https://www.wisconsin.edu ).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
Per Regent Policy Document 20-19, University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy and UW System Administrative Policy 1275 Recruitment Policies, UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr . If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles ( http://www.uww.edu/leap ) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices ( https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices ). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs ( http://www.uww.edu/orsp ) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys ( https://www.wisys.org ).
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings is targeted to be implemented mid-2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater has the authority to implement temporary workforce reduction and cost saving measures to address financial challenges resulting from the COVID-19 Crisis, consistent with Wisconsin law and Board of Regents, UW System, and UW-Whitewater policy and procedure.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by August 8, 2021 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment or if you are unable to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at (262) 472-1072 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Associate Vice Chancellor
Only complete application packages will be considered. This includes online submission of the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for three professional references
- Unofficial Transcripts
Application Link : click here and type in the Job ID: Application
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Chief Student Affairs Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Minority & Multicultural Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater