Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Gardener position. The
Gardener is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level
AO-3. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse
liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will
demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work
towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Gardener supports the efforts of the Landscape and Grounds
Department with planning and executing landscaping operations.
Ensures proper maintenance of all horticultural aspects on the
campus are carried out. Assists in the planning, organizing and
implementing new plants and renovations, as well as provides labor
and equipment operation and support for all aspects of grounds work
The position is designated as providing essential services and may
be required to report to work, or remain on duty even though the
College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their
needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and
year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times and
emergency call-ins may be required. The work schedule may vary and
corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is
Monday through Friday.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide labor support for all horticultural aspects of the
diverse campus community including pruning, trimming, weeding,
fertilizing, spraying, repairing damaged areas, grading terrain,
seeding, transplanting shrubs and plants, and brush, leaf, and snow
- Operate department equipment including trucks, utility
vehicles, tractors, saws, lawnmowers, tools, and snow equipment as
needed. Inspect and perform minor and basic equipment
- Assist Special Services with the setup for special functions
including commencement, reunion, freshman orientation, etc. Support
office moves as needed.
- Assist Design and Construction with the planning and/or
preparing of landscape projects including inspection, work
planning, maintenance, plant labeling, repair operation, and
purchasing of materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- MA DOT card or ability to obtain one within 6 months of
- Specialized training in the culture and maintenance of many
types of plants
- Pesticide and hoisting licenses or ability to acquire within 6
months of hire
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing is
required in order to operate college vehicles
- Strong written and verbal communication organizational and
time-management skills including the ability to plan, organize and
multi-task when priorities change frequently
- CORI check
- General knowledge in the selection and maintenance of
- Experience in the operation of motorized vehicles and
equipment; trucks, tractor, chainsaw, general landscaping
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive
- Ability to work with garden design drawings
- Knowledge and Experience in Irrigation maintenance and water
- Basic computer skills
DOT Requirements for operating a CMV (operation of a vehicle in
excess of 10,000 lbs (GVWR, or more than 9 passengers)
- Completion of CMV Driver Application
- Able to read and speak English
- Employment verification for preceding 3 years
- State driving record
- Driver History Check for preceding 3 years
- Complete a road test
- 21 years or older
- DOT physical certifying the operation of vehicles weighing more
than 10,000 pounds.
- Drug and alcohol test
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may
- Associates degree in Landscape/Horticulture
- 1 year of related vehicle operation and equipment use
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this