Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Gardener position. The Gardener is a full-time, year-round position, job group and level AO-3. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the w ays in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Gardener supports the efforts of the Landscape and Grounds Department with planning and executing landscaping operations. Ensures proper maintenance of all horticultural aspects on the campus are carried out. Assists in the planning, organizing and implementing new plants and renovations, as well as provides labor and equipment operation and support for all aspects of grounds work as required.
The position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times and emergency call-ins may be required. The work schedule may vary and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Monday through Friday.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide labor support for all horticultural aspects of the diverse campus community including pruning, trimming, weeding, fertilizing, spraying, repairing damaged areas, grading terrain, seeding, transplanting shrubs and plants, and brush, leaf, and snow removal.
- Operate department equipment including trucks, utility vehicles, tractors, saws, lawnmowers, tools, and snow equipment as needed. Inspect and perform minor and basic equipment maintenance.
- Assist Special Services with the setup for special functions including commencement, reunion, freshman orientation, etc. Support office moves as needed.
- Assist Design and Construction with the planning and/or preparing of landscape projects including inspection, work planning, maintenance, plant labeling, repair operation, and purchasing of materials.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- MA DOT card or ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire
- Specialized training in the culture and maintenance of many types of plants
- Pesticide and hoisting licenses or ability to acquire within 6 months of hire
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles
- Strong written and verbal communication organizational and time-management skills including the ability to plan, organize and multi-task when priorities change frequently
- CORI check
- General knowledge in the selection and maintenance of plants
- Experience in the operation of motorized vehicles and equipment; trucks, tractor, chainsaw, general landscaping tools
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- Ability to work with garden design drawings
- Knowledge and Experience in Irrigation maintenance and water conservation
- Basic computer skills
DOT Requirements for operating a CMV (operation of a vehicle in excess of 10,000 lbs (GVWR, or more than 9 passengers)
- Completion of CMV Driver Application
- Able to read and speak English
- Employment verification for preceding 3 years
- State driving record
- Driver History Check for preceding 3 years
- Complete a road test
- 21 years or older
- DOT physical certifying the operation of vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds.
- Drug and alcohol test
- Associates degree in Landscape/Horticulture
- 1 year of related vehicle operation and equipment use
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information .
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.