Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer
University Code 25411 University Title Director 1, Legal, Audit and Compliance University Job Family Legal, Audit & Compliance ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Job Series Scope of Search National Working Title Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer Position Number 591690 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Executive & Senior Level Leadership Department Audit and Compliance Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Virginia Commonwealth University’s office of Audit and Compliance Services invites applications for the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer position. Regarded as a vibrant place to work, where discovery is valued and differences are celebrated and embraced, VCU plays an integral role in the vitality of its home city of Richmond, Virginia. VCU and Audit and Compliance Services are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different.
The Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer ( CECO ) oversees a continuous, proactive and comprehensive ethics and compliance program to mitigate risks that could diminish the vital resources and distinguished reputation of VCU, its staff and its faculty. VCU’s compliance program is grounded in the seven elements of an effective compliance program as outlined in the Department of Justice Federal Sentencing Guidelines. This working director reports directly to the Executive Director of Audit and Compliance Services, a President’s cabinet member. The CECOis responsible for leading the Integrity and Compliance Office which ensures the university incorporates best practices for coordinating and monitoring an effective ethics and compliance program. The CECO will work across business functions to build collaborative relationships with compliance partners embedded within university departments, such as research, human resources, athletics and equity and access services, to ensure the university conducts its business operations in compliance with ethical standards, internal policies and procedures, contractual obligations, and all applicable federal and state laws and regulations. The CECO should exemplify VCU’s ethical standards including respect, honesty, responsibility, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Leads the maintenance and maturity of a university ethics and compliance program and incorporates best practices for effectiveness
- Manages the day-to-day activities and operations of the Integrity and Compliance Office and provides supervision to staff
- Develops, implements and enhances the Integrity and Compliance Office’s processes, systems, website and other tools.
- Provides oversight and compliance program guidance to compliance partners embedded in various departments, such as research, human resources, and finance; and collaborates to:
- develop and implement ethical business processes and associated policies and training that incorporate ethics and compliance into the everyday business operations
- implement comprehensive and effective educational and training programs focusing on the elements of the ethics and compliance program ensuring all staff is knowledgeable and comply with relevant regulations, laws, and industry standards
- promote a culture of ethics and compliance across the university
- monitor, assess and prioritize key compliance risk areas and proactively identify major university-wide compliance risk
- monitor regulatory changes and the university’s compliance with such changes
- coordinate and respond to inquiries and audits by regulatory agencies
- coordinate compliance investigations and recommended corrective action
- monitor compliance partner programs for effectiveness
- provides compliance program training to new compliance partners
- Collaborates and communicates with the Office of University Counsel to identify and address legal risks associated with Compliance activity.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with regulators
- Maintains the university’s policy program and library and updates standards including the employee Code of Conduct
- Maintains an effective and interesting compliance communication program using various communication channels, including promoting use of the compliance hotline, heightened awareness of employee Code of Conduct, and understanding of new and existing ethics and compliance issues and related policies and procedures
- Manages university-wide compliance training development, delivery and completion, as well as compliance- oriented communications directed at VCU employees.
- Maintains strong awareness of federal and state laws and regulations and changes that may affect the university; proactively informs responsible persons and departments of changes in regulations as appropriate
- Coordinates the university’s compliance helpline, and other methods of receiving reported concerns, and ensures that concerns are investigated and resolved through effective follow up in accordance with policies and procedures
- Leverages compliance partner risk assessments and knowledge or university operations and industry trends to identify potential areas of enterprise compliance risk
- Communicates regularly with the Executive Director of Audit and Compliance Services and other key stakeholders (as needed) regarding the operation and progress of compliance efforts
- Monitors the effectiveness of the university ethics and compliance program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
- In partnership with other offices such as Institutional Equity and Success, conducts investigations and prepares written reports
- Contributes to Audit and Compliance Services strategic planning process
- Prepares reports and presentations for Cabinet and occasionally
provides verbal briefings at board meetings
- At least five years of job-related management experience in setting, executing, and achieving strategic goals in a complex and highly regulated environment; and leading and coaching diverse, inclusive and equitable groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business, public administration, criminal justice or related field, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- Ability to manage ethical, legal and investigative matters with a high degree of integrity, discretion and confidentiality, and the utmost care of the individuals and organization involved
- Proven record of accomplishment in the areas of drafting and implementing compliance policies, training, monitoring, and investigations
- Persuasive communicator, relationship builder and business partner, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Possesses the ability to communicate succinctly and concisely, to engage, to positively influence, and to lead and achieve the desired results with a wide variety of audiences, including the Board of Visitors, senior management and key external stakeholders. .
- Demonstrated experiences in fostering a diverse and inclusive environment and an expressed commitment to do so while at VCU
- Innovative and rational thinker with ability to analyze and assimilate compliance issues, organize complex initiatives, set priorities in a logical sequence, develop schedules, make assignments, and monitor progress.
- Technology savvy, with the ability to effectively manage large volumes of information, documents, and electronic data and ability to use analysis tools on large data sets. Proven record of analyzing, assimilating and resolving complex compliance issues
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Advanced degree related to finance, business, public administration, criminal justice or JD
- Familiarity with government and industry sponsored research, including that conducted in a university setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with laws, regulations, and industry guidance that affect the higher education industry
- Experience with Convercent, Broadcat, or similar case management and communication platforms/tools
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, complex and multi-tasking environment
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence and exemplary interpersonal skills
As part of the application process, all applicants must submit a self-authored, previously written work sample (such as a policy, procedure, communication, report). This should be attached in the “Other Document”. Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday Job Open Date 07/07/2021 Posting will close on or before 08/07/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107635 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Grants & Contracts Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Legal Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond