Adjunct Instructor of Music - Cello
Job Code/Title AJ - Adjunct Position Number J00001 Working Title Adjunct Instructor of Music - Cello Department Music Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Adjunct - Teaching Hours/Week Variable Normal work days M-F Normal work hours Job Category Adjunct - Teaching Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Description of the Job
Part of the top-ranked School of the Arts at VCU, the VCU Department of Music is committed to the advancement of Western art music and Jazz as academic disciplines, as fields of professional endeavor, and as catalysts that strengthen community.
This position is a semester-renewable non-tenure-eligible part time faculty position in the VCUarts Strings Program within the Department of Music with an academic rank of Instructor.
- Definite: Instruction of weekly cello masterclass 1 hour a week (tentatively on Mondays)
- Potential as needed: the instruction of cello lessons at the beginner to advanced level. Beginner lessons are ½ hour secondary instrument (music majors). Intermediate lessons are for non-majors (½ hour each). Advanced are majors (1 hour each)
- Total hours per week estimated: 1-6
- The Instructor must communicate regularly and professionally.
- Willingness to recruit as needed and help spread the positive VCU message
- Fall and Spring semesters, including exam/jury week.
VCUarts faculty work in a multicultural and inclusive environment, with a focus on equity, diversity, and social and racial justice. The faculty member must demonstrate a high level of performance and teaching experience.
- Master of Music
- Professional playing experience
- Expertise of instruction at different levels.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Weekly availability to instruct on campus
- Understanding of and ability to follow privacy requirements in working with student information and communications.
- Experience working with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
- Doctorate in Music
- Professional orchestral playing experience
All applicants must apply through the VCU Human Resource Application process. No applications through any other source are accepted. Additional Information
VCU’s Monroe Park Campus will be fully operational for the fall 2021 semester. Though the prevailing course modality in the Department of Music for fall 2021 is expected to be in-person instruction, options to teach online will be individually considered based on the needs of the department, students, and curricular requirements. Instructors will work with the Chair of the Department of Music and/or the applicable Associate Dean to determine course modality and an appropriate level of engagement with students should there be a request to teach remotely.
Candidates must submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information from at least two references. Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107651 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2