Museum Security Control Officer
The RISD Museum Office is seeking a dependable Security Control Officer to join its Security & Facilities Office. The RISD Museum was founded on the belief that art, artists, and the institutions that support them play pivotal roles in promoting broad civic engagement and creating more open societies. As one of the three largest university art museums in the United States, the RISD Museum is a place for investigation, transformation, and creative process. The RISD Museum is committed to connecting a diverse public with a collection of art and design from the ancient past to the present day. The Museum Security Office is an essential part of the Museum.
The Security Control Officer provides security coverage of Museum facilities during overnight hours and patrols museum building, ensure building access features are closed and locked, monitor building conditions, initiate response procedures to adverse events and conditions, and complete reports and logs as appropriate. This position monitors electronic security systems, such as security alarms and video surveillance equipment, and fire detection systems; initiate proper responses to adverse security, fire alarm or other events; maintain communications with other RISD entities; and perform routine administrative duties as required.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Perform regular patrols of main Museum building and Museum controlled areas of the Chace Center building. Ensure all physical security features such as doors, windows, hatches, or other possible points of entry are intact and secure. Ensure that electronic security components such as door contacts, motion detection and video surveillance equipment are functioning properly. Be alert to any signs of entry or other attempts to breach the security integrity of the Museum. Respond to and investigate alarm activity and engage public safety, facilities or emergency responders as appropriate.
- Periodically inspect mechanical areas within the Museum, reporting any and all unusual conditions such as water accumulation, noises, odors, etc., which may be indicative of problems which may require intervention. Report any unusual environmental conditions within the Museum. Report any and all unsafe conditions. Be alert to, investigate and report any actual or potential fire conditions.
- Initiate proper emergency response and assistance during emergency incidents, including fire, security, adverse environmental conditions, or other incidents or conditions that could adversely affect the safety of the facility, its collections and any individuals on-site. Take remedial actions to forestall damage in the event of an emergency, for example shutting off water, to the level of training and accepted policies and procedures for response. Assist RISD Public Safety and other emergency responders in the event of a fire alarm or other emergency event.
- Monitor all electronic security systems such as security alarms and video surveillance equipment; monitor all fire detection systems; initiate proper responses to adverse security, fire alarm or other events; maintain communications with other RISD entities such as RISD Public Safety and Facilities personnel; and perform administrative functions such as maintaining departmental logs, etc.
- Report the loss or damage of any items in the collection, as well as any Museum or RISD property. Report any and all suspicious activity. Obtain all necessary preliminary information and make all required notifications. Complete on-line reports, logs and various templates as required.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Previous security experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to take on additional training and responsibilities related to security and emergency response.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with security system operations preferred.
- Ability to fill out written reports, complete other related administrative paperwork; and work independently within standard operating procedures and policies.
- Strong communication skills and dependability.
- Proven ability to interact with members of the community representing diverse backgrounds and interests
Yes; Museum Guards Association
32 hours/week; 12 months/year
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person, employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
For internal use only - Job Family:
Safety & Security
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Arts Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Providence