Director, Louis B. Mayer Library
The Director, Louis B. Mayer Library leads the operation and direction of the Louis B. Mayer Library, the AFI Archive, the AFI Library Computer Labs, and all functions and related spaces. In addition, the Director is responsible for the oversight of Library collections, reference and research services, and supervises Library staff and Archive staff.
- Direct operations of the Library and the Archive with a focus on advancing Fellow learning, meeting the curricular and production support needs of the AFI Conservatory, while sustaining excellence in the delivery of these services.
- Lead improvements and modifications, leveraging technology and innovative tools, in the delivery of Library and Archive services.
- Develop and maintain an updated strategic plan for AFI’s Louis B. Mayer Library and AFI Archive.
- Oversee the administration and use of Library collections, spaces, special collections, and Archive.
- Direct processes for acquisitions and donations, cataloging and preparation of library materials, and the administration of the Library’s online circulation system (OPAC).
- In collaboration with Academic Affairs, provide instructional workshops for Fellows and faculty of the Conservatory in support of Conservatory goals as needed.
- Serve on the Circulation/Reference Desk during the regular academic semester in order to obtain knowledge of the needs and concerns of Fellows and faculty in relation to the Library’s services and programs.
- Prepare and present written and oral reports on library operations, activities and programs and coordinate library information functions with other AFI departments.
- Collect and analyze data and relevant information to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the library.
- Prepare and administer the annual budget(s) for the Library and manage the administration of Archive budgets.
- Prepare and deliver content for AFI.com as well as other external and internal online sources.
- Serve on AFI committees as requested/needed by the Conservatory
- Supervise, guide, evaluate and support Library and Archive staff.
- Oversee the hiring process for new and vacant positions within areas under the Director’s purview, including the establishment criteria for selection.
- Demonstrate commitment to the profession by keeping abreast of current trends and developments in the field of library and archives management.
- Remain active professionally and, through service, represent the interests of the American Film Institute and the AFI Conservatory in related and advantageous internal, local, regional, national, and international organizations and associations.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science required.
- Minimum five years of special or academic library experience, including supervisory and administrative responsibilities.
- Familiarity with library operations, cataloging and online resources with a demonstrated knowledge in related process improvements required.
- Minimum two years of archival management experience, or comparable professional training within the field of archival management.
- Working knowledge of collection or digital assets management software and online public access cataloging systems.
- Knowledge of film history and production desirable.
- Strong team-oriented, collaborative leadership, time management, and multi-tasking skills, coupled with the ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to take a project from conception through completion with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving skills are essential.
- Significant database management and computer skills, with expertise in Word and Excel.
- Commitment to professional issues, demonstrated through strong interest in local or national committee work, research, publication, etc.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development and consideration of innovative best practices in the field.
- Personal integrity and the ability to inspire confidence and trust.
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 25 lbs and participate in moving items up and down stairs.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
The Director, Louis B. Mayer Library performs all duties and responsibilities under the guidance and supervision of the Vice Dean, Academic Affairs.
Apply for Director, Louis B. Mayer Library
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Librarians & Library Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Jobs Outside Academe Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Non-profit & Government Organizations Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Los Angeles