Postdoctoral Fellow - Civics Education
Postdoctoral Fellow - Civics Education
Position Category: Faculty - Non Tenure Track (FT)
The Center for Constitutional Studies (CCS) at Utah Valley University (UVU) seeks a Postdoctoral Fellow to play a leading role in the development of the Civic Thought and Leadership Initiative (CTLI), a program recently created within CCS by the Utah Legislature to “facilitate nonpartisan political discussion and provide civic education and research.” As stated in Utah House Bill 327, CTLI “shall: a) provide courses in and related to philosophy, history, economics, and political science; b) provide resources to students, outside academic institutions, government agencies and other persons regarding civic affairs; and c) foster thoughtful civic engagement in Utah and the surrounding region.” CTLI is funded by a one-time $1,000,000 legislative appropriation for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2021 and ending June 30, 2022, with the opportunity of future one-time or ongoing funding. In its first year of operation, CTLI will have three points of emphasis: 1) K-12 engagement, collaboration, and support; 2) campus and community engagement through conferences, lectures, and other events; 3) undergraduate curriculum development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working with CCS and the UVU School of Education, the Postdoctoral Fellow will be involved in all aspects of CTLI, including:
- K-12 curriculum design and pedagogical training
- Creation of K-12 professional development programs
- Development of conferences, a lecture series, and other events for university and non-university audiences
- Coordination of research activities among participating entities and the preparation of findings for presentation and publication
- Teaching or co-teaching of an undergraduate course or courses related to civics or civics education
This is a full-time one-year appointment with a preferred start date in late August 2021. Pending renewal of funding by the Utah Legislature, the appointment could be extended for a second year. Established in September 2011, CCS is a nonpartisan academic institute that promotes the instruction, study, and research of constitutionalism. It employs a multidisciplinary approach to effectively equip a new generation of citizens and leaders with a broad understanding of political thought and economic and political practices critical to the perpetuation of constitutional government, ordered liberty, and the rule of law. UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan. Benefits PT: You may be eligible for a 3 credit hour or 1 class tuition waiver after 6 consecutive months of employment and a minimum of 480 hours worked. Dependents do not qualify for a waiver.
A doctoral degree in education, instructional design, political science, government, or a related field; experience developing curriculum or instructional materials; classroom teaching experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the K-12 curriculum development and professional development processes • Knowledge of practices and trends in K-12 pedagogy
• Knowledge of and experience in general analytical methods development and good analytical practices
• Exceptional teaching skills at the K-12 and/or undergraduate level
• Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem-solving, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management, and presentation skills
• Ability to engage individually and en masse varied collaborators and stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, teachers, and government officials.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously to meet assigned deadlines
Study of secondary curriculum development in civics or a related discipline; experience teaching secondary classes in civics or a related discipline
The physical ability to perform work associated with the preparation for and execution of conferences and other events.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan. Benefits PT: You may be eligible for a 3 credit hour or 1 class tuition waiver after 6 consecutive months of employment and a minimum of 480 hours worked. Dependents do not qualify for a waiver.
Pay Range: $65,000
Advertisement Number: FAC11421
Open Date: 07/06/2021
Review Start Date: 07/12/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant:
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/23495
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.