Job ID: 229485
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associates, bachelors, masters and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0151001 - Department of Biology
Assist the Laboratory Coordinator and student assistants in preparation of teaching laboratory set-up and general laboratory equipment maintenance.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Follow procedures on safe use, storage, and disposal of hazardous material and promotes use of safety equipment and procedures in the laboratory by staff and students
- Assist in maintaining technology in teaching laboratories
- Collect and maintain teaching specimens and laboratory cultures (e.g. algae, bacteria)
- Assist with design and testing of new laboratory exercises and activities
- Resolve daily operational problems and issues that impact teaching laboratories
- Assist in preparing teaching laboratory setup
- Refresh between classes, and general laboratory equipment maintenance
- Help maintain course web pages, and digital course support materials
- Provide support for the operation, maintenance, development, and instruction of assigned non-major laboratory courses
- Prepare, set-up, and breakdown laboratory materials and exercises and cleans laboratory equipment (e.g. microscopes) after use
- Maintain and clean teaching laboratories and stock rooms
- Updates inventory of instructional and laboratory materials, including chemicals; assess material supply levels for restocking; receives, logs, and stores purchased instructional and laboratory materials
- Assist with laboratory demonstrations
- Associate degree, or two or more years of post-secondary education
- One or more years of related work experience
$12.26 - $14.36 per hour
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section on your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and e-mail with or without reasonable accommodation
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure information sensitive in nature
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support the University's mission for student success
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
Apply Before Date
July 21, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by e-mail at email@example.com .
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work generally performed in teaching lab
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours
- Occasional travel may be required
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=229485&PostingSeq=1