Temporary Instructor of Philosophy - F00332
The Department of English, Philosophy, and World Languages at Arkansas State University seeks to hire a full-time, non-tenure track Instructor in Philosophy to teach Introduction to Philosophy and Logic and Critical Thinking. AOS and AOC are open. The position is for one year and potential for renewal is uncertain at this time.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Teaching load is 5 courses per semester
Other duties include attendance at occasional departmental meetings and events
We are seeking a dynamic, qualified colleague with the ability to engage students from diverse backgrounds in the study of Philosophy. We are especially interested in applicants from groups traditionally underrepresented in Philosophy. For Arkansas State University’s non-discrimination policy, please see https://www.astate.edu/a/affirmative-action/.
Either on a MWF or TR teaching schedule
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Arkansas State University serves approximately 14,000 students
at its main campus in Jonesboro. The university is committed to
quality teaching, including small class sizes, and well-equipped
classrooms. It has the largest library in the Arkansas State
University System. Jonesboro is an agricultural and industrial city
in northeast Arkansas, about 70 miles from Memphis.
Qualified candidates should submit electronically:
• Letter of application (through online portal)
• Curriculum vitae (through online portal)
• Statement of teaching philosophy (through online portal)
• If requested, candidates should arrange to have 3 confidential letters of reference emailed to an address to be provided.
• An M.A. appropriate to the discipline with at least 18 hours
of graduate study in Philosophy; a Ph.D. or ABD status would be an
• Teaching experience in Philosophy or a closely related discipline
• Demonstrated commitment to teaching Philosophy to a diverse student population, including first-generation college students from rural backgrounds