Visiting Assistant Professor- Physical Education
The Coastal Carolina University Spadoni College invites applications for the full-time position in Physical Education, beginning August 2021. This position is a nine-month, one-year appointment.
Coastal Carolina University is a public comprehensive liberal arts institution located in Conway, South Carolina, minutes from the Atlantic coastal resort city of Myrtle Beach. Coastal Carolina University enrolls over 10,000 students from 46 states and 53 nations. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the baccalaureate and selective master’s degrees of national and/or regional significance in the arts and sciences, business, humanities, education, and health and human services, a specialist degree in educational leadership, and Ph.D. degrees in Marine Science and Education
The Spadoni College is a CAEP accredited institution. More than 1,200 undergraduate and graduate students are currently majoring in education programs at Coastal Carolina University. The Spadoni College offers undergraduate programs in early childhood education, elementary education, middle level education, physical education, and special education. Graduate programs include the Master of Arts in Teaching – Secondary Education degree with concentrations in English, social studies, mathematics, and science; Master of Education and Educational Specialists degrees in Educational Leadership; Master of Education and Educational Specialists degrees in Instructional Technology, Master of Education in Special Education, Master of Education in Language, Literacy, and Culture, and an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Education.
The Bachelor of Science in Physical Education the nationally-recognized program designed to provide South Carolina initial licensure for candidates who are interested in becoming PreK-12 physical education teachers. Candidates learn the art and science of teaching movement to PreK-12 students through laboratory, research and field experiences. They learn theory and principles of human movement in the areas of anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, psychology and motor behavior. Students develop and analyze fundamental motor, fitness and sport skills necessary to model, deliver and assess quality instruction. They learn best practices in teaching through a sequential program of pedagogical skill development, which culminates in teaching licensure. The Spadoni College is an CAEP accredited institution and the Physical Education Program is a NASPE SPA approved program. Additional information about the programs can be found at: https://www.coastal.edu/education/undergraduateprograms/physicaled/.
- An earned doctorate in Physical Education a closely related discipline. ABD candidates may be considered, dependent upon the projected date that the terminal degree will be conferred;
- A minimum of three (3) years teaching experience at the P-12 level;
- Experience teaching courses in physical education pedagogical knowledge and skills, at the undergraduate level;
- Knowledge of current standards-based instructional methodology;
- Evidence of or potential for successful university teaching, mentoring, and practice that provides access, equity, education quality and learning of historically marginalized and underrepresented P-12 students, university level students, educators, and leaders;
- Evidence of or potential for successful candidate supervision of clinical experiences;
- Knowledge of and ability to integrate technology into teaching and learning;
- Evidence or the potential to provide support and service to the Physical Education Program, college, university, and profession.
- Evidence or the potential for successful research and scholarly productivity at the state and/or national level;
- Demonstrates excellence in interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and analytic skills;
- Demonstrates potential to collaboratively work with multiple stakeholders, such as area P-12 school districts, to build meaningful partnerships within a diverse environment; and
- Experience with online instruction (synchronous and asynchronous methodologies).
- Experience and/or scholarship in the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of quantitative, qualitative, and/or mixed methods research;
- Expertise in multiple statistical software programs (e.g., R, SAS, STATA, SPSS);
- Expertise in qualitative software programs (e.g., Dedoose, NVivo);
- Evidence of or potential for leading and conducting instruction and/or research through a culturally responsive lens related to or within diverse settings; and/or
- Experience or evidence of potential to support candidates through the Dissertation process, by serving as a committee member, committee chair, and/or methodologist on graduate student dissertation committees.
Interested candidates should submit: a letter of application (outlining interest in the position with the specified qualifications and approach to teaching), current curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts of all graduate work (copies are acceptable at this time), a statement of teaching philosophy and research interests, and a list of at least three (3) professional references familiar with the candidate’s experiences and background. All information and materials must be submitted electronically at http://jobs.coastal.edu. Applicants that are invited for interviews must provide official transcripts of all graduate coursework prior to visiting campus. Review of applications and materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For additional information, contact Dr. Emma Savage-Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coastal Carolina University is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Coastal Carolina University is an EO/AA employer.