Director of the Learning Center
Elmhurst University invites applications for the Director of the Learning Center. This is a 12-month staff position responsible for offering high-impact programming and practices to increase student persistence, retention and success; collaborating with units across campus to identify and create opportunities for strategic, creative and holistic academic support for students, as well as preprofessional development for peer tutors; and leading, developing, and operating the Learning Center to enhance student learning behavior and ensure that the center is contributing to institutional goals.
Review of applications will begin August 6 and continue until the position is filled. Expected start date August/September 2021.
Primary Job Duties
In addition to supervising two direct reports (Assistant Director and Academic Enrichment Coordinator) and recruiting, hiring, training, and mentoring peer tutors, the Learning Center Director:
- Works closely with the Assistant Dean for Academic Success to address short- and long-term goals of the university and the students to then design, implement, assess, and evaluate academic support and enrichment programs and services in the Learning Center
- Provides a vision for the Learning Center by creating and connecting a range of high-impact, evidence-based programming and practices to support peer tutoring, academic services, and early interventions to address diverse student needs and populations
- Works closely with the Access & Disability Services Director to provide holistic support to students and to promote Universal Design for Learning principles in the Learning Center and across campus
- Designs trainings, workshops, presentations, and events for a range of audiences (e.g., prospective and current students, parents, academic departments, and student organizations), while also mentoring the Learning Center staff and tutors to contribute and lead
- Partners creatively with faculty, staff, and other academic support units, including within the library, to offer programming and solutions to meet student needs and to promote Learning Center services
- Acts as the central resource person for faculty, staff, and students by centralizing academic support services, providing information and assistance, and developing campus learning resources
- Tracks, collects, and maintains student data for retention purposes and collaborates with units across campus towards achieving retention goals
- Conducts benchmarking studies and literature reviews of peer-reviewed learning research to identify, evaluate and select evidence-based best practices for adoption and programming
- Oversees and administers the Learning Center budget
- Master’s Degree with Doctoral Degree preferred
- Educational training in writing instruction, reading and learning strategies, and study and time management skills
- Experience delivering higher education academic support services, such as academic coaching, tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, or comparable services to undergraduates and/or graduate students in a learning center, writing center or academic support center along with knowledge of evidence-based instructional practices to support learning
- Effective management, development, and leadership skills
- Ability to design, implement and assess workshops, trainings, presentations, and events
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex projects, coordinate with partners, and initiate and execute appropriate timelines
- Experience working with diverse student populations
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Trained in principles and practices of the international College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA)
Educational background or experience working with English language learners
Familiarity with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles
Candidates should submit:
- A letter of interest addressing how your career and experiences have served as preparation to lead a learning center at a diverse liberal arts university, with particular attention to the priorities and qualities listed above. Speak to your approach to learning center or writing center leadership and academic support of students.
- A curriculum vitae or Resume
- Please provide 5 references, including name, phone number and email. This may be included in applicant’s cover letter or optional “other” document.
- A presentation will be required of finalist candidates.
Please be aware that as a continued emphasis on keeping our community safe and healthy, we will require all faculty, staff, and students to submit verification of full vaccination for COVID-19 no later than Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021.Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 15 graduate programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher education.
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Elmhurst
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Elmhurst