Microbiology or Immunology (Asst / Assoc Professor)
The Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine at New Mexico State University, one of the nation’s newest and most innovative medical schools, located in beautiful Las Cruces, New Mexico, invites applications for one full-time, 12-month faculty position in the Department of Biomedical Sciences. The college’s inaugural class graduated on May 8, 2020 and is expanding faculty ranks. The department is seeking to identify and hire an energetic, dedicated individual with strong pedagogical versatility, a passion for teaching, mentoring and scholarship. The ideal candidate should have a terminal degree and will have demonstrated relevant teaching experience at the university, graduate school or medical school level. Additionally, evidence of scholarly activity and grantsmanship with strong record of publication and productivity, are preferred and valued credentials in prospective candidates.
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine is dedicated to improving the health of the Southwestern United States and its border with Northern Mexico through culturally respectful undergraduate, graduate and continuing osteopathic medical education, research and its support of clinical service to the community. Teaching is the primary focus of our faculty. Burrell implements a spiral, systems-based curriculum that integrates disciplines, and incorporates interactive methodologies and an andragogical teaching philosophy. The College encourages student learning in a humanistic environment, and promotes patient-centered, evidence-based medical care of the highest quality, in a manner consistent with these core values.
Successful candidates will function as member of a collaborative teaching team to develop and deliver their instructional content within an integrated curriculum. The primary teaching focus of this position will involve teaching medical students through the systems-based courses of the 1st and 2nd academic year. The successful candidate will participate in the curricular development and instruction primarily of Immunology and/or Microbiology. Service to the College and the community will also be an essential function of the position, including committee membership, faculty development, student advising, interviewing prospective students, and community outreach.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruction of first- and second-year medical students
- Development of COMLEX/USMLE style questions
- Participation in scholarly activities
- Participation in student mentoring
- Participation in curricular development
- Performance of other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Terminal degree (PhD, or other appropriate terminal degree)
- Commitment to teaching biomedical sciences
- The potential for growth in three areas: teaching, scholarly activity and service.
- Experience in teaching at the university, graduate school or medical school level.
- Evidence of scholarly activity with a record of publication and productivity
- Excellence interpersonal and communications skills
- Basic computer proficiency and working knowledge of Learning Management Systems and Microsoft Office.
- Prior experience with on-line instruction and active learning approaches.
- Knowledge of educational theories
Specific Faculty Responsibilities:
- Approximately 80% time and effort devoted to delivering instruction in first and second year medical student curriculum and to providing service (committee responsibilities, student mentoring, interviewing, etc.) to the institution.
- Work collaboratively with other faculty members to develop the integrated and interdisciplinary medical curriculum (1st and 2nd year).
- Supervise, advise, and mentor medical students through the curriculum.
- Approximately 20% time and effort devoted to scholarly activity:
- Participate in institutional and departmental educational research activities including study design, data generation and analysis, manuscript preparation and submission.
- Develop an independent program of scholarly endeavor (basic, translational, clinical, or educational research; educational materials/programs development, etc.).
- Provide supervision and evaluation of medical students and their scholarly projects.
- Develop and prepare teaching materials (presentations, lectures, exam items, etc.).
- Serve on departmental and institutional committees and task forces.
- Demonstrate professionalism as defined by the Burrell College declaration of faculty professionalism and responsibility.
This full-time, 12-month position has on open start date, until it is filled. The position is a fully funded appointment reporting directly to the Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences. Burrell offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with appointed faculty rank, qualifications, and experience. Inquiries should be made to the Executive Director of Human Resources at: email@example.com.
Application materials should include: a Curriculum Vitae; a cover letter which includes detailed statements of teaching philosophy, scholarly (research) interests, and academic and professional experience; and the names and contact information of three referees from whom the applicant has requested letters of recommendation (to be forwarded directly to Burrell).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, review of resumes is scheduled to begin immediately. Salary is commensurate with experience. EOE.
Applications should be submitted by electronic submission (online application via MyStaffingPro) to the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine Office of Human Resources, see link below or visit the Career Opportunities page on the Burrell website.
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in our faculty and staff as an important aspect of the educational process. BCOM encourages individuals with varied backgrounds and experience to apply.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Las Cruces
- Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Las Cruces
- Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Las Cruces
- Other Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Las Cruces