Arboretum/Victory Gardens Fellow
Haverford College invites applications for our available one year, non-exempt (40 hours per week) benefit eligible Arboretum/Victory Gardens Fellow.
The Ardmore Victory Gardens is a program of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church that aims to increase access to local, nutritious produce within the Ardmore community. The Ardmore Victory Gardens Arboretum Fellow will work four days a week (32 hours; varying weekly schedule) for the Ardmore Victory Gardens, focusing on the Bethel AME Community Garden and the 40 home Victory Gardens located in South Ardmore and the surrounding area. The fellow is responsible for managing and providing oversight during all cycles of the growing period. They will support and engage with local family gardeners as well as volunteers interested in gardening and community development and increase the number and quality of relationships with the local food pantry and other community gardens in the area.
The Bethel Community Garden is a “learning lab”, so opportunities for skill-shares, workshops, and other community programs are encouraged. The fellow is expected to exhibit initiative, manage multiple projects at once, and maintain detailed records. The fellow should have a keen understanding of the growing cycle, pollinators, and a willingness to learn and apply environmentally sound growing practices.
The Ardmore Victory Gardens Arboretum Fellowship is an entry-level professional opportunity. In addition to fulfilling primary responsibilities with the Victory Gardens, the fellow will be responsible for ongoing professional development (0-8 hours; varying weekly schedule) in collaboration with Arboretum staff. The Fellow would also seek out and develop mutually beneficial relationships and projects connecting the gardens with courses, specifically with the Bi-Co Environmental Studies and Bi-Co Education program.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Manage and provide oversight during all cycles of the growing period, engaging with volunteers and family gardeners.
- Build opportunities for skill-shares, workshops, and collaborations.
- Further develop relationships with other local food pantries and community gardens.
- Write reports and funding applications (internal and external) as necessary.
- Communicate regularly with the Bethel AME Victory Garden and Arboretum Directors.
Line of Report:
Reports to Arboretum Director.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with collaborative, community-building work around food justice, racial justice, and sustainable small-scale agriculture
- Plant/seed development/growth/care knowledge and experience
- Organized self-starter who can take initiative and motivate others
- Strong communicator with the ability to connect with people in a variety of settings (community outreach and/or teaching experience would be helpful)
- The ability to travel to various homes and community locations is a required aspect of this position. Driver's license preferred; ability to pass a Motor Vehicle record check would be required in order to use a Haverford vehicle. If driving their own vehicle, the fellow would be eligible for mileage reimbursement.
- Grow, harvest, and distribute ~1000 lbs of produce
- Twenty new beds installed in the community
- Growth of volunteer pool/capacity
- Increased visibility of the Community Garden
- Multiple well-organized community events and workshops
- Course-connection between ENVS department and gardens
- Possession of a valid U.S. Drivers' License and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record Check
- Ability to obtain and maintain PA Act 153 Child Abuse Clearances (completed and submitted clearances to the Office of Human Resources are required before first day of employment, or start date may be delayed)
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds)Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds):Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds):Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds):Up to three hours
- Pulling (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction:Up to three hours
- Pushing (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction):Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body):Three to six hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body):Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position):Three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position):Three to six hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees):Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees):Three to six hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground):Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces):Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary):Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.):Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures):Three to six hours
To Apply : Interested applicants should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Cam... . The application deadline is July 21, 2021. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Haverford