CIRES/ NOAA NCEI Post-Doctoral Associate in Geomagnetism Research
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a post-doctoral research scientist to work in the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) Geomagnetism group. The successful applicant will collaborate with scientists from NCEI Geomagnetism on developing new data-based models of the magnetospheric and ionospheric magnetic fields near the Earth’s surface, from a combination of low Earth orbit satellites (including the European Space Agency Swarm tri-satellite mission) and ground observatory data. The obtained magnetospheric model will then be used to extract rapid core field variations from both satellite and observatory records, and investigate their spatio-temporal characteristics over several decades. Improved observations and models of rapid core field variations are expected to better constrain physics-based models of the geodynamo and further our understanding of deep Earth dynamics. The ionosphere modeling aspect of this position aims to construct a 3D model of the ionospheric current system and associated magnetic fields. This will be done by combining physics-based models of the ionosphere with satellite and ground-based magnetic observations. The position is located in Boulder, Colorado. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
National Centers for Environmental Information website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop and implement a strategy to model the Earth’s magnetospheric field near the Earth’s surface, including the time-varying longitudinal asymmetry.
- Develop and implement a strategy to model the 3D ionospheric current system and associated magnetic fields.
- Invert satellite and observatory datasets for source parameters representing the geomagnetic magnetospheric and ionospheric fields.
- Investigate rapid core field variations in satellite and observatory records.
What You Should Know
- This is an 18-month appointment with the possibility of extension based on performance and the availability of funding.
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
What We Can Offer
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and determined based on our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this position is $58,000 - $65,000.
- Relocation funds are available for this position following CIRES and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and procedures.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Encouraged. Be Positive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in physics, geoscience, mathematics, or related field.
- Familiarity with geomagnetism.
What You Will Need
- Familiarity with geomagnetic field data (satellite and ground-based).
- Experience with geomagnetic field modeling.
- Strong proficiency in analysis of geophysical datasets and scientific programming.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with the development and presentation of scientific results for meetings and for publication in scientific journals.
- Availability to travel at the level of 1-2 trips/year.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with geophysical inverse problems.
- Strong computational skills (e.g. Python, C/C++, Fortran, Matlab).
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time if you are identified as a finalist for this role.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
Review of application will start on July 15th. Position will remain posted until filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Arnaud Chulliat
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder