Teacher, Child Development Center (4756)
Working in cooperation with and under the direction of the Lead Teacher, this position provides, through open communication with other staff, a high quality, professional child care service to the children of AU students, staff and faculty; while also serving as an educational resource for university students and faculty. Duties include: planning, implementing and evaluating a developmentally appropriate educational program for children ages 2½ to 6 years old.
1) Supervisory Duties (20% of time)
- Supervise FWS students and direct positive involvement with the children by modeling appropriate behavior and mentoring them in their classroom activities. Complete year-end evaluation of FWS students.
- b) Supervise both the classroom and playground, and direct FWS students, as needed, to ensure children’s safety.
2) Classroom Duties (40% of time)
- a) Provide input to Lead Teacher to assist in the planning and implementation of a developmentally appropriate preschool program.
- b) Implement plans for Teacher’s small group activities.
- c) Assist the Lead Teacher in the implementation of daily and monthly scheduled activities.
- d) Provide a stimulating, child-centered, safe, and orderly environment both indoors and outdoors. Provide a neat, safe, and organized classroom. Notify the Lead Teacher regarding any needed maintenance.
- e) Contribute to the maintenance of communal space (e.g., the kitchen, hallways, entryways, bathrooms, etc.) such that it is organized, neat, and safe.
- f) Implement the opening and closing checklists as applicable.
Essential Functions Continued
3) Staff Duties (30% of time)
- a) Attend and participate in all classroom team meetings for monthly planning, small group activities, and problem solving.
- b) Attend all staff meetings and contribute to both discussions and problem-solving sessions.
- c) Participate in staff development and in-service training.
- d) Consult with the staff psychologist as needed; attend and participate in regular consultant meetings.
4) Administrative Duties (5% of time)
- a) Maintain both anecdotal and portfolio records for each child in the teacher’s small group.
- b) Provide a written copy of Classroom Conference Reports to the Lead Teacher for review and/or discussion.
- c) Provide input on classroom supply needs to the Lead Teacher.
5) Parent Duties (5% of time)
- a) Establish positive communication with parents on daily basis.
- b) Twice a year, prepare a written Parent Conference Report for each child in teacher’s small group. Meet and discuss with parents each child’s overall development. Provide a written copy of Conference Reports to both parents and the Center’s Director.
6) Other Duties (non-essential)
- a) Attend CDC Potluck events twice each year.
- This position reports directly to the CDC Administrator, along with1 lead teacher and 2 other teachers
- Overall oversight and direction for the teaching team is provided by the Lead Teacher to: ensure appropriate positive interaction between staff and children; model high standards for teaching and interaction with children, staff, and parents; and, work collaboratively with other staff to ensure the implementation of the CDC philosophy, policies, and procedures
- Work-study students and other seasonal workers report directly to this position
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Specialist A
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education or related field or the equivalent in training and/or experience plus two years early childhood teaching experience
- Position requires certification in Childhood First Aid and certification in Childhood CPR
- This position requires ability to complete professionally written reports on children's development for parents, staff psychologist and other educational and therapeutic referrals
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Teacher Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.