Shuttle Operator (4077)
The Shuttle Operator operates a 30,35,40 foot or larger commercial transit bus or any other University owned or leased vehicle in a safe and efficient manner, in accordance with the U.S. Dept. of Transportation (USDOT) Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) Parts 382, 383, 387, 390-397, 399, and 40 with specific instructions without detailed or continuous supervision incurring additional responsibilities as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
- A minimum of two years continuous active experience in the operation of a motor vehicle at the time of appointment.
- Minimum of one year successfully demonstrated experience operating a commercial motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of at least 10,000 pounds and satisfactory work attendance records are desirable.
- Applicant must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to acquire knowledge of the applicable motor vehicle code of the jurisdiction(s) in which the incumbent will be operating the vehicle.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to acquire the knowledge of an assigned vehicle in order to evaluate its general operating condition.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to work variable hours and shifts.
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks under continuous exposure to various weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to operate the vehicle in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to take direction and work under minimum supervision.
- Possession of a currently valid commercial driver’s license Class B with passenger and air brake endorsements issued by the jurisdiction in which the individual resides. (No applicant will be considered for employment who has accrued more than 2 points; moving violations, suspensions or revocations of a driver’s permit as a result of a moving traffic violation within the 36 months preceding appointment.)
- Incumbent must successfully pass Pre-Employment and annual testing consisting of an observed Road Test, Written Examination, and Driver Record Review as prescribed by the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Parts 383, 390-397.
- Ability to satisfactorily complete Pre-Employment and Biennial Medical examinations and pass Pre-Employment and all Controlled Substance testing as prescribed by the USDOT-FHWA’s FMCSR Parts 382, 383, 390-397, 399, and 40.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Given the severe penalties associated with violations against the Shuttle Operators driver’s license, the incumbent is charged with exhibiting safe driving practices while operating any motor vehicle (University owned, personal, or rental) at any time, so as not to jeopardize the status of his/her Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Hiring offers contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.