Research Mentor and Laboratory Manager - Part-time
Mount Mary University is seeking an individual to join our community and contribute to the realization of our Mission through the role of a part-time Research Mentor and Laboratory Manager in the Sciences Department. The Research Mentor and Laboratory Manager will collaboratively work with the Primary Investigator (PI) and co-PI of a National Science Foundation (NSF) Scholarship in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (S-STEM) award to offer consistent support to S-STEM student recipients. This role promotes a learning atmosphere where the students will participate in a year-long Authentic Research in Microbiology Seminar course. In this course, S-STEM student recipients will learn research methods, develop hypotheses, conduct data analysis, and write about research findings in a laboratory setting. This position is responsible for mentoring and managing students as they navigate the year-long research project. We are committed to a compassionate and effective undergraduate education for our students.
- Be motivated to mentor students in undergraduate research
- Engage and monitor students as they perform microbial research techniques
- Collaborate and work with PI and co-PI on the development and implementation of lab activities, needs, and equipment
- Prepare equipment and supplies, design, set up and coordinate activities for lab course including but not limited to preparing bacterial media, maintaining bacterial strains, decontamination and proper dispose of biological waste, maintaining clean dishware
- Oversee weekly lab operations
- Order and maintain supplies
- Assist in identifying summer research experiences for S-STEM student recipients
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, or special projects as assigned
- Trouble shoot problems
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Basic knowledge about microbial and aseptic techniques
- Problem solving, critical thinking, resource management and writing skills
- Demonstrate commitment to promoting inclusiveness and cultural competence; experience working with underrepresented students and students from at-risk backgrounds.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Microbiology or related field.
- May be required to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must reach, bend, stoop, lift
- Must sit, walk or stand
- Some repetitive motion may be required
- 12-month appointment
- 0.5 fulltime equivalent (FTE) hours
- In-person position on the Mount Mary University campus
- Varying workflow; sometimes stressful with high workload times of the year
- Complete work required within a limited time
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision, and values.
For more information about diversity, equity and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit https://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.