The Office of Advancement builds lifelong relationships with alumni, parents, and friends, and engages them in support of Wesleyan’s educational mission and financial goals. Wesleyan University is currently in the quiet/leadership phase of a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
The Advancement team fosters pride in the Wesleyan community and develops support for university initiatives through outreach activities, including development/fundraising, alumni & parent relations, and both on- and off-campus events.
The Development Officer is responsible for major gift fundraising, including soliciting and closing philanthropic gifts from donors utilizing industry best practices and standards.
- Actively managing a portfolio of 150+ assigned prospects, devising, and implementing individual cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies.
- Soliciting multi-year campaign commitments while achieving annual gift income goals based on an assigned prospect pool.
- Frequent national travel to meet with prospects and represent the university at regional events. Understanding and articulating the University’s campaign fundraising priorities and gift opportunities.
- Involving university leadership and volunteers in fundraising strategies with specific prospects as appropriate, including arranging visits and drafting correspondence.
- Working closely with the Director of Principal Gifts on assigned prospects with connections to the President.
- Designing and executing events and programs in support of development activities in assigned regions.
- Devising gift strategies for assigned prospects in a reunion cycle and collaborating with colleagues in the Wesleyan Fund to meet reunion and annual fund goals.
- Developing and coordinating proposals from major gifts individually and in coordination with other development officers, planned giving colleagues, other members of the Advancement team and the campus community contributing to the University’s overall success.
- Using metrics to advise actions and strategies, maximizing fundraising effectiveness.
Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of fundraising and professional experience in a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Demonstrated ability to engage individuals and articulate institutional needs, while exercising discretion and maintaining confidentiality.
Demonstrated understanding of the donor cycle, fundraising best practices, and industry trends.
Sophisticated writing, editing, and presentation skills.
Proven experience as an effective fundraiser.
Proven ability to work collaboratively and independently.
Intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills.
Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and interact openly with individuals of different backgrounds.
Direct experience soliciting, negotiating, and closing major gifts.
Comprehensive campaign experience including quiet, public, and post campaign phases.
Record of successful collaboration with sophisticated volunteers and senior administrative officers.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application close date is August 17, 2021
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check screening to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, political belief, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries regarding Title IX, Section 504, or any other non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Alison Williams, Vice President for Equity & Inclusion/ Title IX Officer, 860-685-3927, firstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Middletown
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Middletown
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Middletown
- Development & Advancement Not specified Full Time jobs in Middletown
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Middletown