Head of Library Access Services
Working Title Head of Library Access Services Department Steely Library Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Position Number Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
The Head of Access Services is a new position providing leadership and guidance for a suite of services including: circulation, course reserves and copyright guidance to the instructional community, document delivery, consortial resource sharing, media collections, disability services, learning commons partnerships located in the Library, and the Library’s integrated public service points where customers get assistance with general information needs, first level of reference, and technology. This faculty position requires a strong commitment to public services coupled with a vision for using emerging technologies and evidence-based decision practices to develop, implement, and assess services. The Access Services Department consists of 4 full-time staff employees and a number of student employees. This position will have faculty status.
The W. Frank Steely Library provides a wide range of library services to support the University’s commitment to its Success by Design strategic framework, which promotes student success by embracing inclusiveness, equity, global awareness, and academic needs of students and faculty in each academic college. Library faculty and staff have enhanced traditional services to better address 21st century information needs and are collaborative partners across campus. The library’s twenty-two faculty members and eighteen staff members are leading the implementation of NKU’s campus-wide Quality Enhancement Plan on Information Literacy and newly created digital repository, and offering an online Bachelor’s degree in library informatics.
NKU is a public comprehensive university located in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area. The university delivers innovative, learner-centered education and engages in impactful scholarly and creative activities, all of which empower students for fulfilling careers and meaningful lives while contributing to the social and economic vitality of the region. NKU has almost 14,000 students, over 2,000 faculty and staff. It offers 79 undergraduate degree programs, master’s degrees in 21 disciplines, graduate certificates in 15 areas, two doctoral programs, a law degree, and in a partnership with the University of Kentucky and St. Elizabeth Hospital opened a medical school in the fall of 2019. Primary Responsibilities
Leadership and Supervision:
• Leads and supervises full-time employees, including hiring, onboarding, training, determining workloads, delegating responsibilities, providing direction, coaching, mentoring, and monitoring and evaluating job performance.
• Leads and promotes the operations of the Library’s integrated service points that provide desk and roving assistance for first level reference questions, disability services, technology lending, circulation, course reserves, copyright, document delivery, and other transactions.
• Oversees the Library’s circulation and interlibrary loan system. Captures, analyzes, and assesses transactional and performance data from those systems to determine trends and develop strategies to improve the library experience for students, faculty, and staff.
• Analyzes and manages workflows and processes to improve delivery, speed, effectiveness, and accuracy of resource sharing, including working with consortium partners, such as Kentucky Virtual Library to ensure effective operations with courier services, etc.
• Liaises with campus partners who are located in Steely Library, for example those who are providing research, writing, and tutoring services.
• Works with colleagues to develop a team environment that embraces diversity, inclusiveness, and equity.
• Collaborates with the Senior Associate Dean for Operations, Assessment and Communications and University Police to ensure optimal functioning of the physical building from a user-centric focus and to manage emergency situations. Also, coordinates opening and closing the library.
• Participates in Library and departmental strategic planning.
• The department head may occasionally need to work evenings or weekends. The incumbent may need to flex their schedule occasionally due to staff absences and when the library hours change during extended study hours and intercessions.
• Participates in Library and campus-wide committees and NKU faculty governance.
• Contributes to research tutoring and consultations.
• Other duties as assigned. Qualifications
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program or an ALA approved foreign equivalent.
• Experience in an academic, public or comparable library environment in a variety of access and public services such as: circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery, copyright, course reserves, and/or reference.
• Strong customer service skills and commitment to providing excellent service in a diverse, fast-paced environment, including the ability to resolve issues in a professional and respectful manner.
• Supervisory experience and/or evidence of the ability to be an effective team leader who fosters an inclusive, efficient, and collegial workplace.
• Demonstrated experience improving workflows in access services areas using, but not limited to, collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to create an exciting, future-oriented library.
• Ability to lead staff and workflows/processes in support of strategic goals.
• Knowledge of current and emerging technologies as applied to access and public services.
• Exemplary interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, with the ability to establish and sustain positive working relationships with all levels of personnel (administrators, faculty, staff, and student employees) and with external constituencies.
• Strong project management skills to lead and/or coordinate multiple projects.
• Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative environment and to contribute to professional service.
• Knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends that affect academic libraries or higher education.
• Ability to engage collaboratively, creatively, effectively and to provide innovative and exceptional service to a diverse clientele.
Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates’ materials will begin on July 26, 2021 and best consideration will be gained for materials submitted prior to that date.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law. Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged. Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree
Requisition Number 2021F548 Job Open Date 07/05/2021 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10508 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Have you successfully earned a Masters in Library and/or
Information Science from an American Library Association accredited
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport