External Link to Posting
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Campus Recreation - 40120
Student Affairs - 40000 Division
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for the supervision and training of aquatic student team members, managing the daily operations, schedule, preventative maintenance and risk management procedures pertaining to both the indoor and outdoor pools. This position creates, leads, and facilitates instructional programs to include learn-to-swim, and health and safety courses. This position recruits, hires, trains, manages the work functions, mentor and assess work performance of student aquatics team members. This position develops and manages regular in-service training for lifeguard staff. The Aquatics Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director of Campus Recreation/Fitness and Aquatics.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- One year of aquatics programming experience
- Lifeguard Certification
- Ability to delegate tasks as appropriate
- Supervisory or related transferable skills
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Exercise Science/Physiology or related field
- Graduate Assistant experience in collegiate recreation programming
- 2 years of direct experience with student personnel supervision at the collegiate recreation level and implementation and management of aquatics programs
- Certified Pool Operator ( CPO )
- Certified Water Safety Instructor ( WSI )
- Certified Lifeguard Instructor ( LGI )
- Lifeguard Instructor Trainer ( LGIT )
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer ( WSIT )
- Knowledge of State Health Regulations and/or National Standards of aquatic facilities operations
Required Certifications or Licensures
- American Red Cross Instructor training for First Aid, CPR / AED, Blood borne Pathogen (or can become obtained after hire)
- American Red Cross CPR / AED /First Aid Certification
- Lifeguard Certification
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Department of Campus Recreation organizes and administers a variety of structured and self-directed recreational services that enhance the overall wellness of the university community. Our primary goal is to provide quality recreational experiences directed toward positive change in the physical, cognitive and social domains of the university community thus enhancing the overall educational experience. This goal is accomplished by offering a wide variety of recreational activities, conducting educational workshops and providing professional training. The Department of Campus Recreation provides a multi-faceted program, which includes: Group Exercise/Fitness Programs, Competitive Sports (Intramural Sports and Sport Clubs) Seahawk Adventure Programs, Aquatics, and Special Events. Campus Recreation at UNCW takes a “something for everyone” approach to programming.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Number of Openings
Special Notes to Applicants
Preferred closing date is 8/8/21, however may be extended.
Please note that all application materials must be submitted no later than 11:59pm ET on the close date.
Months Per Year
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited Positions
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington