Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs
A successful candidate will play an active role in FMU's existing academic success. The Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Student Affairs shall have the primary to provide leadership for the Division of Student Affairs in support of the development, assessment, and improvement of student services and experience which meet and support the University's mission and strategic plan. Responsible for the planning, organizing, and coordinating of the Division of Student Affairs while achieving institutional goals and objectives. This customer-centric role will understand the needs, motivations, and priorities of the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Life activities that are co-curricular and cover all aspects of the educational experiences and personal growth of students.
The AVP of Student Affairs will promote a vast array of educational, social, and cultural opportunities and programs. Develop a campus life with a diversity of ideas, experiences, and skills: leadership, communication, problem-solving, program planning, organization, implementation, evaluation, and most importantly, the opportunity to Get Involved on Campus.
- Designs, implements, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the campus strategic goals, missions, and priorities as they relate to Student Affairs.
- Cultivates and implements short and long-term organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures for the Division of Student Affairs which respond to the changing needs and requirements of the university's student community and which enhance the university's viability for student recruitment and retention purposes.
- Assists with campus-wide crisis/emergency response and provides support to students and families in emergencies.
- Maintains a visible profile and fosters communication both on campus and with external constituencies by engaging students, parents, faculty, community agencies, state and local officials, and members of the public through participation in community organizations, student organizations, and other entities which address student concerns.
- Oversees development and submission of internal and external reports, assessment and evaluation of programs, and initiates improvements to ensure that the Division of Student Affairs is effective, innovative, proactive, anticipatory, and responsive to student and community requirements and is in compliance with federal and state regulations and reporting requirements.
- Develops and manages the Division’s resources and budgets and identifies and projects long and short-range needs for strategic projections of program and staffing requirements for budget preparation purposes.
- Oversees the review, investigation, and analysis of allegations of violation of the Student Conduct Code which includes initiating charges, referring cases to the Conduct Affairs Committee, and convening the University Counsel as indicated.
- Serves as spokesperson for matters related to student life, services, and programs with students, the community, system offices, state and federal agencies, and other campuses.
- Serve as FMU Staff Liaison for University Mentoring Programs; duties involved: implement recruitment of students, staff, and faculty participants, create marketing materials, disperse pertinent information to participants, participate in weekly program meetings, attend bi-weekly program sessions.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong academic values and good judgment, patience, commitment, and humor to manage strategic change. Understanding of system and campus governance and accreditation issues.
- Expertise in developing/implementing processes and plans for institutional effectiveness.
- Strong record of fostering communication with students, parents, faculty, community, legislature, and public. Ability to work collaboratively with other campus units.
- Ability to handle information that’s sensitive and confidential in nature in the utmost professional manner.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organizational, and time management skills. Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse constituents.
- Attention to detail and adaptability to a changing environment is extremely important as well as dependability.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism, initiative, resourcefulness, and personal accountability.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to fifty (50) pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified as essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- The successful candidate must have a minimum of a master’s degree (doctoral degree preferred), along with at least seven years of progressive management experience in student services, student development, housing and residence life, and conduct affairs, and/or marketing in higher education.
- Previous leadership experience and success in Student Affairs is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
Qualified applicants are asked to upload a cover letter of interest, resume/curriculum vitae, and/or certifications, if applicable.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate to experience. In addition to the completed application, candidates must submit a list of three professional references (at least one from a previous employer) that includes names and contact information. Review of application materials will begin ASAP and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Florida Memorial University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Deans Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Chief Student Affairs Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens
- Other Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Miami Gardens