Director and Professor of Practice, Cronkite News-Phoenix Bureau, Phoenix, Arizona
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University, one of the nation’s top journalism schools, seeks to hire a Director and Professor of Practice to join Cronkite News, the student-staffed, faculty-led news division of Arizona PBS.
The director will lead, edit, mentor and teach a student team that conceptualizes and produces highly innovative multimedia content for Cronkite News and collaborates with Cronkite Sports and Cronkite Noticias, the newsroom’s Spanish-language program. Students who join this team will hone their skills in web production and design, including the creation and integration of visual elements such as graphics, video, photo, interactives and data visualization to tell compelling and powerful stories. The team also leads the newsroom’s audience engagement efforts, tracks metrics, employs search engine optimization, develops social media strategy and crafts social media campaigns. The team could include some photographers, videographers and reporters, and the director will work closely with our “innovation squad” to conduct experiments.
The state-of-the-art newsroom operates out of the Cronkite School on ASU’s downtown Phoenix campus in the nation’s 11th-largest media market. The school is a global leader in professional and innovative digital news media education. The school champions a “teaching hospital” model of journalism education in which students create professional content under the guidance of award-winning, experienced professionals. Student content is showcased on Cronkite News, a daily news operation that serves as an immersive and innovative learning laboratory for students and provides daily and enterprise news coverage of critical issues on broadcast, digital and social platforms. Cronkite News also serves as a test bed for innovation, experimenting with new forms of storytelling, audience engagement, digital interactivity and data visualization for the rest of the industry. Cronkite News has reporting bureaus in Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles.
The successful candidate will be a journalist of the highest caliber with strong newsroom experience and an innovative thinker who is comfortable in a digital and highly energized news environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading, editing, teaching and mentoring upper-level undergraduate and graduate journalism students in a daily news environment
- Overseeing daily production and design for Cronkite News, affiliated websites and social channels
- Driving strong visual content for Cronkite News and its social media channels
- Fostering a culture of innovation by harnessing fresh ideas and experimenting with new tools, technologies and techniques that enhance digital and social media storytelling
- Demonstrating commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in both professional practices and as contributor to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Driving audience engagement through social media, SEO and immersion reporting experiences
- Forging partnerships with news organizations and technology companies to bolster the newsroom’s reputation as an innovation test bed for the industry
- Working collaboratively with other professional program directors and media partners to plan, manage and produce innovative and professional news and information content across platforms
- Performing other faculty responsibilities, such as committee assignments and student recruitment, as assigned
- Five years of major-market regional or national experience planning and producing digital content, or equivalent experience
- Exceptional storytelling skills that integrate multimedia elements such as text, video, photo, graphics and data
- Experience writing and/or editing digital content
- Knowledge of AP style
- Expertise in social media promotion and distribution, web metrics and SEO
- Familiarity with HTML and standard content management systems, such as WordPress
- Familiarity with new and emerging tools and technologies for digital storytelling
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience supervising a team
- Experience producing web or social media video
- Experience working with data and producing data visualizations
- Experience editing still photos
- Experience working with undergraduate and/or graduate students in a university or newsroom setting
- Understanding of graphic/visual design concepts
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
This appointment holds the faculty rank of Professor of Practice.
Application deadline: August 2, or if not filled, every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed.
Application procedure: Materials must include: 1) a resume, 2) Web-based samples of work created or produced, and 3) names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references.
All finalists will be asked to submit a statement that addresses their experience and commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion over the course of their careers and outlines how they would advance DEI goals at the Cronkite School. The statement should be no longer than 500 words.