Assistant Director for International Enrollment Management and Advising
Emporia State University (Emporia, Kansas) invites applications for the position of Assistant Director for International Enrollment Management and Advising. The position reports to the Director of International Admissions and Dean of International Education and is a key member of the Office of International Education. Under the direction of the Director of International Admissions, the incumbent will oversee the international student admissions process to ensure that applicants are moved through the admissions funnel in an accurate and timely manner. The incumbent will serve as the primary CRM/SIS processor and will manage the student employees assigned to the admissions team. The Assistant Director will also assist with recruitment initiatives, including some international recruitment travel. The incumbent will provide International Student and Scholar Services support in the manner of student advising and orientation, as well as immigration processing, SEVIS reporting, and F-1 and J-1 advising.
About Emporia State University
Emporia State University (ESU) is a public institution located in the City of Emporia, East-Central Kansas. ESU is a dynamic, progressive, and internationally-focused, student-centered learning community. International students on campus represent more than 35 countries and make up eight percent of total student enrollment.
Specific Areas of Responsibilities:
International Student Admissions 65%
- Lead the admissions team in processing all international undergraduate and graduate applications accurately and efficiently.
- Serve as primary CRM/SIS administrator; ensure all data is entered and processed properly and funnel data is current and accurate.
- Serve as principal international credential evaluator to ensure that international grades and degrees are correctly equated to U.S., ESU, and accreditation body standards.
- Liaise with Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the Graduate School, Academic Departments, and the Registration Office.
- Assist the Director of International Admissions with outreach and recruitment initiatives as assigned.
- Depending on the successful applicant’s background, some recruitment related travel will be necessary.
International Student and Scholar Services and Advising 25%
- Assist with orientation program for newly arrived international students every semester.
- Advocate for the needs of international students regarding academic and social integration to the campus.
- Assist international students in settling disputes and solving issues regarding institutional policy and procedures.
- Assist with retention efforts pertaining to international students.
- Assist in scheduling and hosting international scholars and delegations.
- Serve as a DSO and ARO.
General Duties 10%
- Help implement Emporia State University’s Strategic Plan and International Road Map.
- Perform other duties as necessary and assigned.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience working in an international office at a US college or university.
- Experience studying or working abroad for at least one semester.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and expectations of international students.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Excellent intercultural and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to interact and empathize with students of different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability and flexibility to work off-office hours.
- Ability to undertake occasional domestic and international travel.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in higher education administration, student affairs, international education, or related fields.
- Working knowledge of SEVIS and current F-1/J-1 regulations.
- Experience in student recruiting and admissions.
- Detailed experience with an admissions CRM system and SIS database.
- Proficiency in a foreign language
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three references including name, email, and phone number
Please submit application documents to Brian Powers, search committee chair, by uploading them at https://bit.ly/3x8khb3. A search committee will review all application materials upon receipt, until the position is filled. The preferred start date is August 1, 2021.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered by law.