We are encouraging applications for a Safety Engineer IV to
establish and maintain the industrial safety program, assuring
compliance with applicable health and safety laws.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) began in
1948, a decade before NASA. We are the world’s only academic
research institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets
LASP combines all aspects of space exploration through our
expertise in science, engineering, mission operations, and
scientific data analysis. As part of CU, LASP also works to educate
and train the next generation of space scientists, engineers, and
mission operators by integrating undergraduate and graduate
students into working teams.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Supervise students maintaining the ESD control system and
assisting with safety tasks.
What You Should Know
- Develop, implement and monitor organizational safety program
- Conduct safety surveys to identify and mitigate occupational
- Respond to emergencies, incidents, and accidents; investigate
causes and recommends corrective actions.
- Recommend controls for identified hazards.
- Determine sufficient PPE to implement hazard controls.
- Train employees on safety program and responsibilities.
- Maintain safety records.
- Coordinate handling, maintenance, and tracking of radiation
- Present safety plans and status at formal program reviews.
- Review hazardous operations for appropriate controls and
traceability to certifications.
- Spot-check active operations for safety compliance, including
- Approve orders for lift equipment; tags and inspects lift
- Approve project procedures with safety-related content.
- Generate required safety documents.
- Perform Job Safety Analyses (JSAs) and facilities hazard
- Inspect work areas for safety compliance and recommend
- Participate in any incident investigations, assuring
identification of root cause and appropriate corrective/preventive
- Advise and work with lab and program personnel as needed for
safety planning and problem resolution.
- Lead all aspects of ESD control system maintenance, supervising
students who maintain the system.
- Estimate costs for safety materials and equipment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What We Can Offer
- Due to export control restrictions only US persons (US
citizens, US lawful permanent residents), or asylees/refugees under
specific Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) amnesty
provisions may apply.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working with a
- Extended periods of standing during hardware lift activities,
sometimes in cleanroom garb.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
The salary range is $98.5K-$128K.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be dynamic. Be innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field.
- Ten years of related experience.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain amicable relationships with fellow
employees and external organizations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software to
maintain accurate records.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: