The Catering Executive Sous Chef is responsible and accountable for
total culinary oversight of all campus catering. This highly
organized individual works directly with the catering management
team and in conjunction with the Executive Chef of Campus Center to
lead and direct kitchen staff to ensure accurate and efficient
production for 50 to 100 events each week.
This position reports to the Executive Chef of Campus Center.
- Direct daily food production operations, including menu
planning, purchasing, ordering, inventory, and food preparation for
all catered events to ensure employees have appropriate equipment,
inventory, and resources to perform their jobs and meet goals and
- Manage the culinary budget by controlling costs, complying with
budget requirements, adjusting when necessary, and investigating
- Create and collaborate with the Campus Center Executive Chef on
menu and recipe development and implementation, flavor profiles,
packaging, and plating standards.
- Work directly with the catering management team and Conference
and Event Services at Ithaca College on menus and packages.
- Respond to special requests and guest concerns to ensure
outstanding customer service.
- Guarantee culinary team members accurately and efficiently
complete required production.
- Provide direct, in-person support of culinary team members to
propel and inspire accuracy, efficiency, and compliance with all
HACCP plans and protocols.
- Establish operating standards and implement quality
- Identify staff training needs and arrange appropriate
individual and group training sessions.
- Assist with operational logistics, including food
transportation, set-up, and break-down.
- Provide culinary support to Campus Centering Dining Hall and a
ssist culinary teams as necessary.
- Ensure food is prepared per current applicable federal, state,
and cultural standards, as well as guidelines and regulations, to
yield high-quality food service.
- Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and cultivate
an inclusive, diverse, and respectful Ithaca College community.
Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with
staff, faculty, students, and visitors to the College. Promote a
flexible, collaborative, and inclusive work and living environment
and engage in educational opportunities to increase diversity and
- Five years of progressive leadership experience for a culinary
team in a college/university dining hall, a restaurant, or other
relevant establishment, or the equivalent combination of education
- Superior organization and time management skills, with the
ability to coordinate and manage up to 100 catering events per
- Proven experience in coaching and supervising employees and the
ability to adhere to and train staff in the service standards set
by Ithaca College Dining Services.
- Expert knowledge of food preparation, cooking processes,
equipment, and myriad cuisines.
- Adept food handling and food safety skills, HACCP execution,
and allergen knowledge.
- Proficiency in business and financial practices.
- Financial acuity.
- Experience in creating, developing, and delivering training
materials and presentations.
- Technological proficiency in food, business, and beverage
- Strong management skills, including but not limited to
organization, strategic planning, resourcefulness, interpersonal
relations, decision-making, and time management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability
to provide excellent customer service while working effectively and
respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights,
weekends, overtime, and some holidays.
- 7+ years of leadership for a catering team.
- Culinary degree.
- Strong ties to the Ithaca/Tompkins County community to generate
future catering events and opportunities.
- ServeSafe Certification.
The Executive Sous Chef completes work within an accessible, safe,
indoor, and occasional outdoor environment. Long periods of
walking, standing, bending, and carrying moderately heavy items (up
to 50 pounds) may be necessary. Employees will be issued and/or
required to wear slip-resistant shoes, cut gloves, and operate
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic
community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to
apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college
Interested applicants must apply online at ithaca.edu/jobs
attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online
application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at
email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.