Help Desk Support
Internal Position Title
Help Desk Support
The Help Desk Support provides Tier 1 support to users of computers
and related computer equipment throughout the College. Support
provided by the Help Desk Support shall include, but not be limited
to, the time-sensitive assistance of students, faculty, and staff
with the training on and productive operation of hardware and
software used by the College. This role reports to the Manager,
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently
includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and
Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and
qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group
and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible
spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays
off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid
holidays each year.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community
college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an
innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths
for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences. The
college is widely recognized for student success, business and
community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty,
staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake
County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers
in the State of Illinois for 2019.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR Associates Degree with 6 months of
experience in an information technology role OR 2 years of
experience in an information technology role, at least 1 year of
which was in a technology support role.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of customers and
a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Committed to keeping up-to-date with the ever-changing
- Reflect a positive, high-energy and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated ability to work well on and contribute to the high
performance of a team
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and deliver according to
deadlines while handling multiple tasks, ability to exercise
judgment, handle confidential information, and function with
minimal supervision • Demonstrated excellent organizational
abilities and attention to detail
- Ability to explain technical concepts and procedures to
- Ability to problem-solve, analyze information to make informed
decisions and/or recommendations
- Applies principles of logical thinking to a wide range of
intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to travel between campuses as needed
- Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with
persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities;
demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of
community college students, faculty, and staff, including those
with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Higher Education experience ideally in a community college
- An innate focus on students and their success
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships
with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills.
- An interest in improving existing processes and procedures on a
- Ability to manage projects as needed.
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
If you have a Bachelor’s or an Associate’s Degree, please be sure
to upload your transcript when applying.
Total Hours per week
Monday – Friday 12:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Flexibility a plus.
Software Testing Required
Powerpoint, Excel, MS Word, Windows, Outlook
Interview Process Requirements
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has
a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad
spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with
disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
User Support (60%)
- Consistently provides excellent customer service, displaying
customer care best practices in support of students, faculty,
staff, and other constituents.
- Troubleshoots and resolves computer hardware, software,
peripherals, and networking issues at their root cause, in person
and via phone, email, and chat.
- Uses efficient and effective troubleshooting techniques to
gather information, identify the core of the problem, and determine
its root cause.
- Efficiently and effectively escalates issues after an
appropriate time or when issues require further expertise.
- Identifies and leverages opportunities to improve the
productivity of faculty and staff by providing just-in-time
training on optimal operation of computer hardware, software, and
- Eagerly assists other Technology Support staff in resolving
issues at their root cause.
Issue and Ticket Management (20%)
- Accurately documents and maintains all support requests and
efforts in the ticket management system. • Ensures support tickets
are appropriately transferred, escalated, and closed.
- Keeps customers updated on the status of their open
- Ensures that customers are satisfied upon ticket closure.
- Compiles, analyzes, and shares reports of interactions via
ticket management system with employees, observing trends and
suggesting process improvements based on the data.
Other Duties (20%)
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
- Communicates in a timely and tactful manner via email or other
methods to share information on outages, upgrades, and other
situations involving technology interruptions or process
- Assists with documenting and maintaining up-to-date, accurate,
and helpful information the department’s knowledgebase
- Assists in the development and enforcement of computer
hardware, software, peripheral, and networking standards and
acceptable use policies for students, faculty, and staff.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Acts as an IT liaison between faculty and staff to communicate
changes, gather feedback, suggest improvements, and implement
- Models all institution and regulatory policies, procedures and
- Utilizes self-appraisal to determine progress in meeting
performance management system objectives and career goals.
- Proactively works with other members of the College to identify
and implement key opportunities for operational improvements.
- Other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have a Bachelor’s Degree or an Associates Degree with 6
months of experience in an information technology role
OR 2 years of experience in an information technology role, with at
least 1 year of which was in a technology support role?
Do you have the ability to travel between campuses as
- * Do you have higher education experience in a community
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1