STEM Teacher (Located in Winston-Salem, NC)
ASU/RCOE Lab School - 260850
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge
Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global
citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in
creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational
Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings
people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge,
to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and
embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the
University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about
20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more
than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
- Degree in a relevant education field.
- Hold or be eligible for an NC teaching license in elementary
- NC teaching license in elementary education, K-6.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The STEM teacher will plan, organize, and implement an appropriate
STEM instructional program that encourages students to develop and
fulfill their academic potential. The teacher will provide a broad
range of teaching services that assist elementary students to
develop skills, attitudes, and knowledge needed as a foundation for
future interests and/or careers. The teacher will use a variety of
instructional strategies to meet the academic, social, and
behavioral needs of students.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not
limited to the following:
- Deliver STEM -oriented instruction through inquiry-based
learning methods utilizing effective teaching strategies.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques, instructional
media, and performance assessments, which guide the learning
process toward curriculum goals and student learning.
- Understand the developmental appropriateness of materials and
differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
- Monitor the progress of students and use information to adjust
- Evaluate student performance on a regular basis using multiple
assessment methods. Treat all students in a fair and equitable
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing clear
expectations and procedures.
- Maintain effective classroom management that recognizes and
addresses learning and behavior needs.
- Maintain positive and constructive communication with students
- Attend professional development and training related to STEM
programs and methodologies, staying abreast of current
- Use technology to promote learning, creativity, and
collaboration that is aligned with the NC Digital Learning
- Work directly with the Principal, Director of Curriculum, and
staff in the development, implementation, and evaluation of STEM
initiatives and curriculum.
- Organize, develop, and coordinate special STEM
- Coach classroom teachers and specialists on STEM initiatives
and instructional best practices in the STEM areas.
- Adhere to staff expectations and handbooks.
- Maintain appropriate work habits, including regular and
punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning
- Keep current in subject matter knowledge and learning
- Attend workshops, seminars, and conferences as well as staff
meetings, PLT meetings, and other committee meetings as
- Respect the confidentiality of records and information
regarding students, families, and teachers in accordance with
accepted professional ethics and state and federal laws.
- Share responsibility during the school day for the supervision
of students in areas of the school.
- Comply with state and federal education statutes, including the
NC Code of Ethics for Educators.
- Adhere to the North Carolina Professional Teaching
- Follow a plan for professional development and demonstrate
evidence of growth.
Suggested Salary Range
Commensurate with NC State Salary Schedule and WS/FCS
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position within a school
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
List a minimum of 3 professional references on the application or
attach a List of 3 References with Contact Information.
This position is grant-funded and time-limited based on funding
provided by ESSER III funds.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in
access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect
to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis
of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and
expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status,
genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the
entire university community, including alumni and official
university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an
influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning
opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work
collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an
equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are
safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions,
and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity
opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness,
justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university