founded in 1831, is a diverse,
energetic liberal arts community where critical thinking and
practical idealism go hand in hand.
Reporting to the Associate Controller, the Payroll Manager
ensures the accurate and efficient processing and reporting of
payroll for approximately 1,100 University employees and 1,500
The Payroll Manager resolves complex issues within Payroll along
with the team of two payroll staff members that they would lead and
The position oversees payroll operations for semi-monthly, monthly,
and weekly payrolls in accordance with university policy, union
contracts, and other applicable laws and regulations.
PAYROLL PROCESSING AND SYSTEM WORK
ANALYSIS AND REPORTING DUTIES
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll in compliance
with university policy, union contracts, and all applicable federal
and state laws.
- Designs, documents and maintains appropriate payroll processes
and internal controls to ensure accurate and prompt processing and
distribution of payroll and related payroll deductions.
- Designs, documents and maintains appropriate processes and
internal controls to ensure payroll transactions are appropriately
reflected on the general ledger.
- Ensures payroll-related accounts are balanced by resolving
- Maintains and develop payroll information tables within ERP and
timekeeping systems to ensure accuracy.
- Works closely with Benefits to ensure employees have the
correct benefits processed as well as timely transmission of
benefit data from the payroll system.
- Coordinates with Information Technology Services ( ITS ) to
maintain the security and integrity of payroll data.
- Works with departments and individuals to resolve payroll
LEADERSHIP AND SUPERVISION
- Performs tax research and analysis of tax laws and regulations
regarding payroll and compensation taxes.
- Performs quarterly and year-end tax filing processes.
- Collaborates with HR and other partners on the preparation of
reports and forecasts.
- Prepares and submits documents required for federal and state
- Manages the maintenance of accurate payroll records according
to document retention regulations.
- Supervises payroll staff, provides feedback and ensures
professional development opportunities related to job
- Ensures accuracy of information on the payroll website.
- Provides training on the payroll system to end users including
new hires during orientation.
- Prepares payroll related communication to the campus community
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by
studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to
requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Remains current on University policies related to payroll and
on related union contract provisions.
- Communicates appropriately with customers regarding payroll
compliance and best practices.
- Maintain proactive communication with HR on payroll
This position provides an opportunity for a work arrangement
that includes time in the office and working remotely.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years of progressively
responsible experience within the payroll function or an equivalent
combination of education, training and experience.
Supervisory experience directing the work of professional
Expertise managing complex employee pay, payroll processes, and
Knowledge of international, federal, state and local tax
Experience developing and implementing payroll processes in
compliance with payroll standards and best practices.
Experience managing system interfaces and account
Experience successfully completing audits from the federal and
Ability to navigate sensitive and highly confidential situations
Excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and communication
Demonstrated commitment to working within a diverse environment and
interacting collegially with individuals of different
Master’s degree PeopleSoft, ADP , and Workforce Time systems
Experience administering pay provisions of union contracts.
Certified Payroll Professional certification.
Payroll experience in a higher education setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application close date is August 6, 2021.
Any and all offers to external applicants are contingent on
the candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check
screening to the satisfaction of Wesleyan University
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age,
gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital
status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder,
learning disability or physical disability, political belief,
veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or
non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from
women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries
regarding Title IX, Section 504, or any other non-discrimination
policies should be directed to: Alison Williams, Vice President for
Equity & Inclusion/ Title IX Officer, 860-685-3927, email@example.com.