Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My
Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your
resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching
philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading
before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please
ensure you have all necessary documents available before
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type
into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in
Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have
no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is
current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information
for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate
documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your
application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the
Office of Human Resources via email at
by calling 864-294-2217.
To maintain the grass, shrubbery, flowers, trees, and general
appearance of the campus property.
1. Maintains the grass on campus property by:
- mowing, using tractor mowers, push mowers, 7 gang mower.
- operating weedeaters, edgers, clippers.
- aerating, sodding, and seeding by using tractors, spreaders,
- watering grass using irrigation system, water truck, sprinklers
- picking up litter, limbs, dead animals, etc using shovel,
stick, broom, hands.
- spraying chemicals to kill weeds and treat diseases and to
fertilize using backpack sprayer or tractor sprayer.
- vacuuming or raking leaves using vacuum unit, rake or backpack
- clearing lots (as needed) using bushhog.
2. Maintains shrubbery, plants, trees and flower beds by:
- pruning flowers (roses), shrubs and trees using hand or
gasoline powered shears, chainsaws and ladders or bucket truck as
- planting flowers, shrubs and trees by using shovels, spades,
- mulching and weeding shrubbery and flower beds.
- spraying chemicals to kill weeds, diseases, or to fertilize
plants using backpack or hand sprayer.
- removing shrubs, flowers, tree stumps using backhoe, shovel and
- trims limbs on campus trees using chainsaws, pole clippers
3. Maintains cleanliness of walkways, parking lots and lake
- blowing leaves and grass from the sidewalk/parking lot/road
using backpack blower, push blowers, vacuum truck, tractor with
- cleaning out storm drains by using shovels to remove leaves,
sand and dirt.
- maintaining the lake by skimming the water to remove debris,
dead animals, etc. and by using the motor boat to trap and assist
injured ducks and swans.
- shoveling snow/ice from walkways as necessary.
4. Maintains grounds equipment by:
- washing mowers, tractors, etc.
- sharpening blades.
- checking oil, fuel and filters for cleanliness or
5. Maintains and repairs grounds irrigation systems by:
- repairing broken sprinkler heads, valves, pipes, etc.
- clearing blockages from valves and pipes.
- inspecting and servicing automatic sprinkler control devices,
electric and hydraulic systems and pumping systems.
6. Completes additional duties assigned by supervisor.
7. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees
to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into
the department and university goals.
8. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers
9. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for
services and information; including maintaining up to date
information about the department and university.
Continuous contact with members of their own work unit and
immediate supervisor to exchange factual information and
explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Frequent contact with students, general public to exchange factual
information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or
functions. Discussion of non-controversial matters.
Responsibility for Final Decisions
Tasks are well-defined and repetitive, following prescribed steps,
methods and/or procedures. Work involves limited choice with regard
to the selection of appropriate tools, methods or materials.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by
standard check or crosscheck.
: Groundskeeper Foreman
Completed work is referred to supervisor for review.
High School graduate with 1 - 2 years experience in related
Ability to read and understand instructions for the use of
machinery, chemicals and seed/fertilizer.
Valid S.C. Drivers License.
Experience in the operation of grounds tools/equipment.
Horticultural degree or equivalent experience preferred.
Work is performed primarily outside under variable weather
conditions with daily exposure to noise, dust, heat, cold,
dampness, dirt, chemicals and fumes.
- Frequent lifting grounds equipment into and out of pick up
trucks. (ie: backpack
- blowers, sprayers, chainsaws, weedeaters, etc. up to 50
- Frequent reaching, bending, stooping when pruning shrubs,
flowers and hedges.
- Frequent pushing mowers, blowers, and edgers.
- Frequent driving/operating mowers/tractors, etc. using handles,
foot pedals and hand levers.
- Frequent operating weedeaters by holding them above the ground
and moving them back and forth while walking.
- Frequent recognizing disease, problems to report to
- Frequent lifting bags (up to 50 lbs) of seed, fertilizer,
- Frequent using hand tools such as spades, clippers, and
Groundskeepers may be subject to call-back if there is an
emergency, i.e.: tree down, irrigation line broken, injured duck or
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Groundskeeper_R001217
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing
the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to
create a community of people representing a multiplicity of
identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief,
sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background,
ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of
employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.