The Professor of Practice and Associate Director of PreK-12
Education Programs is responsible for supporting the development,
implementation, and ongoing administration of degree and
certificate programs in fields related to PreK-12 teacher
education. In their capacity as Associate Director, the
incumbent will collaborate with the Program Director to envision
and build PreK-12 Education Programs as well as support the
existing undergraduate Tulane Teacher Preparation and Certification
Program. In the capacity of Professor of Practice and in
collaboration with the faculty, staff, and Program Director, the
incumbent will be responsible for program instruction, including
designing, teaching, evaluating, and revising courses and the
curriculum of the programs. This Professor of Practice
position is a non-tenure track instructional position that requires
background and experience in PreK-12 curriculum, instruction, and
assessment. The incumbent will also meet and exceed expectations
with respect to Tulane’s professional competencies.
Tulane is designing new and innovative education programs and
training pathways for PreK-12 education practitioners. The ideal
candidate will have program design experience, university and K-12
teaching experience, strong knowledge of educational pedagogy, and
experience in curriculum design, grade-appropriate instruction, and
assessment for learning.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters degree (PhD preferred) in education or related
- Demonstrable knowledge and practical experience with
collaborating with university faculty and staff, as well as school
district personnel, administrators, teachers, and community
- Minimum of five years of K-12 teaching experience with specific
experience in area of expertise sought for this position.
- Minimum of two years postsecondary teaching which can include
professional development for practicing teachers.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES
TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB
- Ability to develop and deliver innovative and rigorous courses
in education and teacher preparation
- Ability to provide quality mentoring and academic advisement to
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with local,
statewide, regional and national stakeholders, leading to student
and adjunct faculty recruitment, internship and job opportunities
for students and graduates.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to work well with individuals of various ages and
The incumbent will also demonstrate an ability to meet and
exceed universal Tulane competencies:
- Stakeholder focus – Exhibits an
achievement orientation and commitment to quality in all areas.
Demonstrates a commitment to anticipating, monitoring, and meeting
the needs of stakeholders (teaching candidates, project partners,
Tulane faculty and staff) and planning for/ responds to/
collaborating with them in an appropriate manner.
- Initiative – Approaches situations and
issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities as they
arise with integrity and in a way that builds trust.
- Innovation – Generates viable new
approaches and solutions.
- Flexibility – Responds to work
effectively in ambiguous or changing situations, and with diverse
groups and all individuals.
- An EdD or PhD in Education or related field
- Experience in a leadership role in higher education
- Deep expertise in teacher education and preparation, to include
alternative credentialing programs and Masters degree programs
- A demonstrable track record of successful design and
implementation of education programs
- Experience with online education and learning management
systems, Canvas preferred
Candidates must apply in Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/88544
and provide an updated CV and cover letter. Additional
materials for submission may include sample syllabi of courses
taught, teaching evaluations from courses taught, and letters of
recommendation. Additional documents may be requested at a later
date. Expected start date for this position is the beginning of the
Fall 2021 semester but is negotiable.
For more information about the position, please contact the
PK-12 Professor of Practice and Program Director, Dr. Kelly
McClure, at email@example.com.
Ultimate recruitment for this position is subject to final
budgetary approval by the University.
Tulane University is an
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action
institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane
University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity,
color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status,
or any other status or classification protected by federal, state,
or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to