Maintains and preserves the Academy’s physical environment to
ensure a clean, safe appearance and functional condition for those
visiting, working on, and using the main campus, athletic
facilities and woodlands.
This position is considered “Essential Personnel”
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that
would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus, or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if
instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or
his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s
Staff (Leadership Team).
- Performs routine and repetitive manual labor.
- Cleans culverts, drains, roads and ditches; spread sand and
gravel; erect road markers; shovel snow; collect refuse; rake
leaves and grass; mow grass; operate light equipment related to
above duties, including minor maintenance and cleaning of
- Provides support for the collection, hauling and disposal of
refuse and recycling from Academy facilities and residences.
- Performs other grounds maintenance as required.
- Maintains natural grass and synthetic turf athletic fields,
including measuring and painting field markings.
- Maintains outdoor Tennis Complex and Phelps Stadium venue.
- Assists with maintenance and event setup for athletic
- Cleans restrooms, athletic support buildings and outside
- Moves furniture, heavy objects, and equipment.
- Responsible for cultivating, transplanting, pruning, watering,
fertilizing and maintaining lawns, athletic fields, shrubs, trees
and plantings as instructed.
- Operates all motorized and non-motorized small grounds machines
and tractors with implements (i.e., bucket truck for tree work,
snow blower, york rake, aerator, vacuum, overseeder and sweeper,
large rotary mowers and forklifts).
Degree of Independent Action Performed
- Participates in snow removal.
- Maintains a clean and orderly storage area within the grounds
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Grounds Supervisor, but
is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy,
and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment
in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA
administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff.
External contacts may include parents, outside organizations,
visitors and local community neighbors.
Minimum technology baselines needed to perform job responsibilities
included, but not limited to, proper use of company issued iPhones,
laptops and other equipment. Responsible for using Outlook calendar
and checking and responding to PEA emails. Required to use and
understand company issued software, including PEA’s work order
system, Maintenance Connection.
- High school diploma or GED is preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Minimum 2 years’ related experience.
- Experience with grounds equipment and machinery required.
- Knowledge of snow and ice removal operations preferred.
- Irrigation operation experience helpful.
- Pesticide applicator license and knowledge of Integrated Pest
Management Practices preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Ability to work independently and achieve high results with
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to
serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community with
diplomacy and tact.