for Admissions and
at Fort Valley State
University in Georgia
Named as one of the Best Historically Black Colleges and
Universities for 2021 by College Consensus, Fort Valley
State University seeks qualified professional candidates
for the position of Executive Director for Admissions and
Recruitment to administer the operational, financial, and
personnel functions of the Admissions and Recruitment department to
assist in accomplishing the University’s enrollment goals and
objectives. The Executive Director for Admissions and Recruitment
reports directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs and
Enrollment Management. Applications will be reviewed immediately.
Take a virtual tour of the University at fvsu.vrtoursrvr.com.
For complete information, see the
About the University
Located in Central Georgia, FVSU is a comprehensive institution
offering 37 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. One of the
University System of Georgia’s three public historically black
universities, FVSU is the state’s only 1890 Land Grant
FVSU combines the personal attention and family
feel of a small, private college with the resources and research
found at large public universities. The University’s 1,365-acre
main campus in Fort Valley has the second largest acreage of any
FVSU advances its mission and educational goals
through three academic colleges: Agriculture, Family Sciences, and
Technology; Arts and Sciences; and Education and Professional
Studies. In fall 2020, the University enrolled 2,542 undergraduate
and 285 graduate students.
Of the 92 faculty members, 74 percent hold
doctorates. The close-knit campus community encourages personal and
academic growth and establishing lifelong ties that extend beyond
FVSU has been recognized four consecutive years as
the top public historically black college in Georgia. This #1
ranking includes US News and World Report, 2019 and
2020 Best Colleges rankings, and the Washington
Monthly, 2019. In 2018, Diverse Issues in Higher
Education listed FVSU as a top 10 producer of African
Americans with bachelor’s degrees in mathematics, engineering
technology, family and consumer sciences, computer and information
systems, psychology, and history in the state of Georgia.
The National Science Foundation provides more
funding for science, technology, engineering, and math research at
FVSU than at any other public teaching college in Georgia, putting
it in the top 10 for NSF-funded STEM research among all colleges in
Fort Valley State University has produced graduates
who have literally changed the world, serving as pioneers and
trailblazers in civil rights, education, law and government, human
rights, and public policy.
The Executive Director for Admissions and Recruitment provides
leadership in recruitment of students while using data to make
evidence-based decisions, and develops and directs fiscal and
resource strategies, plans, and policies. The Executive Director
will provide expertise and knowledge of best practices and
leadership in facilitating the creation and implementation of the
annual undergraduate recruitment plans focused on enrolling a
diverse population of students. The Executive Director also will
develop and execute a multifaceted communications plan to increase
The Executive Director’s position requires
both broad oversight as well as a hands-on management style,
including a working knowledge of current best-practices in college
admissions and recruitment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as at the chief administrator of the Office of
Admissions and Recruitment.
- Supervises all staff and is responsible for application
processing and recruitment of all incoming undergraduate
- Creates and interprets the University’s admissions policies and
procedures that include state legislation and Board of Regents
- Represents the University locally, regionally, and
- Holds the primary responsibility for all strategic and
budgetary planning and administration.
- Is responsible for identifying and achieving enrollment goals
as determined collaboratively with the Vice President for Student
Affairs and Enrollment Management, the Provost, and the
- Chairs the Undergraduate Admissions Committee.
- Participates in or represents the Office of Admissions and
Recruitment on various campus committees and state-wide higher
education coordinating committees.
- Counsels prospective students and families on the University’s
admissions requirements and assumes authority for who gets admitted
into the University.
- Determines residency status for tuition
- Works with the Assistant Director for Recruitment and
Operations to provide expertise, knowledge, and leadership to
facilitate the creation and implementation of the annual
undergraduate recruitment plans in support of the institution’s
strategic enrollment goals.
- Plans and/or organizes on-campus and off-campus recruiting
- Develops collaborative relationships with academic departments
in coordinating admissions efforts.
- Is knowledgeable of transfer credit practices.
- Makes data-informed decisions to guide the work of departmental
staff and resources.
- Performs fundamental statistical evaluations.
- Evaluates processes, strategies, and tactics to improve the
admissions and recruitment functions.
- Applies understanding of various audiences to create and
implement multifaceted communications plans and measures its
- Works collaboratively with the Special Assistant to the
President for Marketing and Strategic Communications to develop and
maximize recruitment marketing and communication
- Maintains contact with prospective students, faculty,
departmental chairpersons, college deans, divisional directors, and
other representatives to facilitate job functions.
- Maintains communication with educational and administrative
staff and professionals at secondary and post-secondary
- Trains and supports staff involved in admissions and
recruitment efforts and operations.
- Ensures acquired technology is leveraged throughout the
department to impact organizational effectiveness and
- Builds and maintains a cohesive, integrated, and collaborative
admissions and recruitment function to continually promote and
deliver high standards of customer service so that prospective
students have an excellent experience from the first point of
contact through admissions and enrollment.
- Collaborates with colleagues in the development and
implementation of Enrollment Management initiatives.
- Provides effective supervision, leadership, mentorship, and
staff development to personnel within the department, serving as a
champion for professional growth and development.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Master’s degree in a course of study related to the
occupational field required with an MBA preferred
(Bachelor’s degree will be considered with considerable experience
and accomplishments in college admissions.)
- Five to 10 years of experience demonstrating progressive
leadership in admissions, recruitment, and/or enrollment
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
including Constituent Relationship Management (CRM)
- Knowledge of University System of Georgia policies and
- Knowledge of Family Education Rights and Privacy Act
- Knowledge of college admissions and recruitment principles
- Knowledge of budget management principles
- Skills in decision making and problem solving
- Skills in supervising the work of personnel
- Skills in the completion of a variety of admissions
- Skills in oral and written communication
Metropolitan Central Georgia
Fort Valley State University is in the Central Georgia
metropolitan area, which encompasses the state’s fourth largest
city, Macon, as well as several growing cities and progressive
small towns. Other features of the area include Robins Air Force
Base, one of the state’s largest employers; the #11 rated public
school in Georgia, the Academy of Classical Education, and the
nationally recognized Houston County School System; and outstanding
healthcare along with the second largest hospital in
Central Georgia offers endless activity
opportunities for families and individuals alike. A wide range of
fine and casual dining, live music venues, festivals, water parks,
golf courses, museums, historical sites, farmer’s markets, touring
Broadway shows, kayaking, indoor rock climbing, and more provide an
appealing quality of life.
The City of Fort Valley has been honored as one of
10 Georgia “Cities of Excellence,” and it is considered one of the
state’s “best managed and most livable cities.” It offers
tree-lined streets and beautiful historic homes and boasts a cost
of living below the state and national average.
Beyond the Metro Central Georgia area, Atlanta, one
of the nation’s largest cities, and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta
International Airport are easily accessible by I-75. If looking for
time at the beach or enjoying the cool mountain air, the Georgia
coastline or Blue Ridge Mountains are only a three-hour drive
Application & Nomination Process
Confidential applications/inquiries are welcomed, and
nominations are invited.
- Application packet must include: 1) A letter of interest that
addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position,
2) Current resume or curriculum vitae, and 3) At
least five references with full contact information including
e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from
- Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to:
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of
For best consideration, submit application packet by
July 9, 2021. Review of applications begins
immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position
Submit nominations to:
complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being
Emily Parker Myers, CEO, and Jennifer
Barfield, Senior Vice President, of Myers McRae Executive Search
and Consulting, are assisting Fort
Valley State University with this search.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal
opportunity institution and does not discriminate against
applicants, students, or employees on the basis of race, gender,
ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age,
disability, or marital or veteran status.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting