Financial Aid Specialist
The employee in this position must handle information with strict
confidentiality and interact with students and parents with the
utmost privacy sensitivity. Will serve as a specialist for one or
more of the areas of financial aid processing to ensure University
compliance to Title IV federal student aid regulations and will be
required to provide backup in one or more of the remaining areas.
The Financial Aid processing areas are Return to Title IV
(R2T4)/Documentation of Attendance/Adjustment, Grants/Comment
Codes, Satisfactory Academic Progress ( SAP )/Consortium,
Verification, and Loans.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• Review reports identifying students who have withdrawn from the
University to calculate and process applicable returns in
accordance with federal regulations for R2T4.
• Communicate with faculty to determine academic participation for
grant aid eligibility and process necessary adjustments.
• Analyze student enrollment with financial aid award packages to
determine student aid eligibility after the census date and perform
award and budget adjustments as required.
• Work with students and families to collect documents required for
the verification process. Identify and submit necessary corrections
to the US Department of Education and review returned forms for
accuracy. Follow up as needed to initiate corrections.
• Assess, approve, or deny “Special Circumstance” requests based
upon Title IV regulations, considering federal tax forms, court
documents, and other information.
• Notify applicants of final determinations.
• Compile and evaluate federal student aid comment codes and
information to determine financial aid eligibility based on federal
regulations and guidelines.
• Work with students to address and/or initiate resolution of
complex federal student aid program eligibility
• Run reports identifying discrepancies in grant aid awards and
disbursement. Research records to determine and initiate corrective
• Identify, communicate, and award eligible students for Federal
TEACH Grant. Satisfactory Academic Progress ( SAP )/Consortium •
Evaluate SAP appeals and plans to determine the reinstatement of
financial aid eligibility.
• Work with academic advisors to resolve discrepancies with
• Update student records to reflect reinstated eligibility and
notify applicants of final determinations.
• Review student Consortium Agreements to facilitate budget and
award adjustments under university policy and federal regulations
• Collect and calculate SAP eligibility based on final grades from
the host and home institutions. Loans
• Extract reports and monitor federal and private lender websites
to identify students who have accepted federal student loans/ PLUS
loans and/or private loans.
• Run reports identifying discrepancies in loan awards and
disbursements. Research records to determine and initiate
corrective action for aggregate and annual loan limits, loan
bankruptcy, and/or loan discharge.
• Facilitate financial aid award disbursement on a routine basis.
Upload loan files received from the US Department of Education.
Notify loan borrowers of the right to cancel and process returns as
• Review and award summer financial aid eligibility. Review and
analyze financial aid requests and determine eligibility for
financial aid awards following established federal, state, and
private qualification guidelines.
• Serve as backup to assist with financial aid packaging during
times of staff unavailability or heavy workloads.
• Generate letters and other communications to notify students of
financial aid approvals, the status of appeals, unmet financial aid
requirements, etc. Respond to student, parent, or staff inquiries
to assist with financial aid processes and requirements.
• Work closely with Enrollment Management offices to resolve
• Establish, update, and maintain student files according to
federally mandated record retention guidelines. Image and index
documents for the Financial Aid Office.
• Responsible for reviewing federal regulations related to area(s)
of specialty to determine if changes to current processes are
required and recommend improvements.
• Create and maintain Financial Aid Office Policies and Procedures
Manual in respective areas.
• Provide cross-training to colleagues and assists with student
• Performs additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
Three years of experience in finance, banking, computer data entry,
admissions, registrar, and/or financial aid, Or a combination of
education in a related field and experience in finance, banking,
computer data entry, admissions, registrar, and/or financial aid
equivalent to three years experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree. Financial aid experience. Experience
with Ellucian’s Banner student information system.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
Note: This position requires access to ED, COD, NSLDS and CPS
databases. In order to have access to these databases, applicants
cannot be in default or owe an overpayment in any Title IV Federal
Financial Aid program.
Regular Business Hours
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching
focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the
diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates
who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that
fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and
we encourage applications from members of groups that have been
historically underrepresented in higher education. Application
materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will
contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and
inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal
access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national
origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have three years’ in finance, banking, computer data
entry, admissions, registrar, and/or financial aid experience; Or
do you have a combination of education in a related field and
experience in finance, banking, computer data entry, admissions,
registrar, and/or financial aid equivalent to three years of
- Yes-I have three years’ in finance, banking, computer data
entry, admissions, registrar and/or financial aid experience.
- No-I do not have three years’ in finance, banking, computer
data entry, admissions, registrar and/or financial aid
- Yes-I have a combination of education in a related field and
experience in finance, banking, computer data entry, admissions,
registrar and/or financial aid equivalent to three years.
- No-I do not have a combination of education in a related field
and experience in finance, banking, computer data entry,
admissions, registrar and/or financial aid equivalent to three
- * Are you in default or owe an overpayment in any Title IV
federal financial aid programs?
- * Do you have Financial Aid experience?
- * Do you have experience with Banner student information
- * Do you have work experience in a higher education
- Yes, in the field I am applying for
- Yes, but in a different field than I am applying for
- Cover Letter