The Director of University Housing provides the vision,
leadership, and oversight for all aspects of University Housing,
including facility, community, staff and student related
functions. The Director works collaboratively with faculty,
staff, and students to provide an exemplary residential experience,
to administer a Housing Program that is student-success focused and
supports the mission of the University of Wisconsin - Stout. The
Director will be a dynamic individual who embraces change,
understands the role of housing in the student experience, and can
effectively lead a large department in an intentional and
thoughtful way. Anticipated start date is 9/1/21.
Minimum / Required
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Seven (7) years of increasing responsibility and management
experience in a college or university housing program
- Three (3) years of experience supervising full-time
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a climate that embraces
equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Experience working with budgets and financial procedures
- Experience working with administrative processes that are
data-driven, effective, and educational
- Experience making data-informed decisions that support student
success in a housing program
- Experience with incorporating student development principles
and learning outcomes as they relate to university housing
- Experience with industry standard best practices in student
- Experience with residence hall renovation projects, facilities
maintenance, and custodial operations
- Experience with developing and maintaining sustainability
- Experience with developing and maintaining collaborative
- Creating a long-range vision for the department and working to
support strategic plan of the Division and the University.
- Developing and implementing the Housing budget (approximately
$11 million), including operations, capital, debt service,
revenues, purchasing and expenditure tracking. Analyze and
interpret data informing budget development including occupancy
forecasting and contracting procedures.
- Managing multi-facility long range and short-term remodeling
and refurbishing, including continued implementation of the
Residence Hall Renewal Plan Work in collaboration
with Facilities Management on on-going maintenance needs and
large-scale renovation building projects.
- Providing safe, healthy and comfortable living facilities that
impact student satisfaction and student success.
- Coordinating the departmental plans for crisis response and
serving as the contact for University Housing in the event of a
- Establishing a department that is culturally competent and that
embraces diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Directing and planning departmental staffing that will achieve
the mission of the department in a fiscally responsible manner.
Recruit, select, supervise and evaluate a number of professional
and support staff.
- Implementing successful professional staff on-going training
and developmental programs.
- Working with the Dean of Students Office to uphold conduct
standards and ensure compliance with housing and university conduct
- Engaging in regular and ongoing assessment projects and
activities that enhance effectiveness and service.
- Developing partnerships and collaborative relationships on and
off campus that support the mission of University Housing and the
University of Wisconsin - Stout.
- Seeking ways to continually increase sustainability
- Coordinating research and extramural funding efforts for the
- Utilizing current and emerging technologies to support and
enhance marketing, communication and service to residence hall
- Establishing sound administrative policies and procedures and
managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Representing University Housing both internally and publicly.
Serve on various committees and task forces. Be an active
participant in housing at the state and regional level and be
cognizant of housing issues at the national level.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the Dean of
University Housing at the University of Wisconsin-Stout is an
auxiliary operation that provides housing to approximately 3,000
students. Students are required to live on campus through the
second year of college in traditional and suite-style
Department Vision: University Housing builds an environment
where connections are made, potential is realized, and lives are
Department Mission: University Housing partners with students,
colleagues, and families to provide secure and well-maintained
communities that inspire discovery, reflection, and lifelong
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and
collaborative environment in which to work and grow. A member of
the University of Wisconsin system, UW-Stout is unique within the
University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder,
James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of
being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation
which highlights our combination of applied learning, real-world
experiences, and an integrated liberal arts
UW-Stout offers 47 undergraduate and 23 graduate degrees,
including 21 masters and 2 advanced degrees. The current enrollment
is approximately 8,000 students. The UW-Stout campus community
enjoys opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration,
state-of-the-art facilities, and a modern digital environment.
UW-Stout values innovative approaches to solving problems in
society and industry, and encourages collaboration within and
across disciplines and professions.
The university is on a beautiful campus in Menomonie, situated
in western Wisconsin, 60 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul on
Interstate 94. Located in the scenic Chippewa Valley region with a
population base of more than 200,000, Menomonie is a city of
more than 16,400, surrounded by lakes, streams, and woodlands. For
more information about the UW-Stout community and region
Facts and data about the university:
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and
experience. The UW System provides an excellent benefits
package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
employer, UW-Stout is committed to inclusive excellence and is
actively seeking applications from individuals from diverse groups;
veterans and individuals with disabilities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the final candidate
passing a criminal background check and a reference check process.
The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and
most recent supervisor questions regarding sexual violence and
sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within
the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to
additional reference checks. Official transcripts required at time
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not
available for this position. A successful applicant will be
responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United
States on or before the effective date of the appointment and
maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you
have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources
office at 715.232.1279.
In response to a public records request, the University of
Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who
request confidentiality in their online application, except that
the identity of the successful final candidate will be released.
Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit:
Go to: http://jobs.uwstout.edu/
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach
all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your
application you will not be able to go into the system and change
Required application materials:
- Cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the minimum
and desired qualifications
- Names and contact information (phone number and Email address)
for a minimum of three (3) professional
To ensure consideration complete applications must be
submitted online by Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:59PM.
Applications will be accepted until the position is
Before starting the online application process we recommend you
preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at:
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable
accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you
need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a
disability, please contact us using the information below.
Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to
make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please
Search Chair: Justin Krahn
If you need assistance with the online application process or if
you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the
required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Sarah Sippl